HP Designjet L25500 excessive print head usage

lfelton

We have a 14 month old (just out of warranty!) HP Designjet L25500 that is going through print heads rapidly. They are all under warranty and so far have been replaced by HP, however it seems that something may be wrong. This is a very low usage machine housed in a purpose built room within our factory. The supplying reseller is suggesting that we have the machine serviced (which is a vacuum out and a couple of drops of lubricant which we do anyway) and also replace the carriage pca and flex cable assembly at a total cost of about $2,000. Apparently there is no way of knowing if (a) there is actually a problem or (b) whether either of these components are faulty, so I'm a bit reluctant to give the go ahead. The reseller has suggested that dust may have broken these components or a power surge. The room is very, very clean so I can't imagine there is a lot of dust and the wiring was put in specifically for the HP (to HP's specification) and has a high quality surge suppressor on both circuits. The electricians are the same as I've used for the rest of the factory and we've never in 6 years had any surge damage to the well over $1M of equipment installed.

So, can anyone share similar experience? Is this likely to be those 2 components, or am I just wasting money that we can ill afford?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back