Humidity....

TheProcessIStheproduct

Every year in the fall and winter when humidity starts to drop we will have problems with Screen 4300. Problem is (almost certainly) static that builds up and punch plate does not drop onto pins on the drum correctly... mechanical errors, crooked imaged plates, etc. Have tried static spray, cleaning rollers, whole room humidifiers (this works, but untreated water makes dust all over inside of unit), any ideas?

Does the humidity level reach the minimum specification of the CtP? I think it is 40% on your device.

Regards,

Mark

You need to treat the water going to the humidification system that you have (we tapped into the RO line for the presses), or get a steam (i.e. Nortec) or evaporative humidifier.

Bret

Some of it can depend on location also. We're in Colorado and, even running humidifiers in the winter, we may sometimes only reach 20-24% in our prepress area on dry, cold days. Definitely use treated water and possibly find a humidifier with a filter to control the white dust.

The Problem with Humidity

The Problem with Humidity

The problem with controlling humidity is that many of the newer substrates are not hydroscopic, which means they don't absorb water. This means that a lot of the time and money spent on humidity levels is a waste. I'm not saying its not effective, I'm saying it just helps control the static, not completely eliminate it.

You can place anti-static cords on the machines in the places where static develops. Tell me where the static manifests and on what specific machines it appears on?

This in conjuction with humidity control will work wonders in your operation during dry season.

Controlling the humidity is gonna' help, but I think Corey is onto something. The layout of the 4300 would make it pretty easy to string some anti-static tinsel on the infeed of the device.

Solving for Static in Dry Weather

Solving for Static in Dry Weather

The anti-static CORDS are much easier to use than the tinsel. The Static String attaches to the machine with a magnet or other means and goes into the tight places where the copper tinsel "christmas tree" can't reach. Under sheets as they enter the machine, or are going out of the machine, on laminators, etc. Depends on what kinds of machines you are using really. Copper tinsel can break off and pieces have been known to be thrown back into the print head, damaging it. Copper tinsel is the "old school" solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back