I/O error (bummers)

allegrich

get error -36 (I/O error (bummers))

i cannot open any file on a particular server but can copy the file to local and open or open any file on other servers
other computers can use file from said server

apple Knowledge base search says drive is going bad, but does not seems that this should be the case if others with same OS and processors can open files

i am getting the errors when attached to said server via AFP, but not SMB

Perhaps the following can help you put your finger on the source of your problem.

As you know AFP and SMB are two separate protocols and therefore have separate "Sharing" properties that are independent of one another:rolleyes:

Your particular sharing privileges are typically tied to your server logon for each protocol. In other words, a "Guest" login may be wide open with the SMB protocol, yet be shut down completely for the AFP protocol, even though they are sharing the exact same file-system.

It sounds to me like you have all the privileges you require with your current logon involving the SMB share.

AFP (For OS-X, UNIX Based file-systems)
It seems like your AFP logon definitely gives you Read access. You didn't mention whether you were able to copy a file back from your local system to the AFP server mount in question. If you are able copy to the server, then you also have Write access(try and launch this file). The only remaining privilege is eXecute which gives you the power to launch eXecutable files. In short these privileges are known as RWX.

So it sounds like you have either R-- or RW- privileges for the AFP share fundamentally. On top of this, every single file existing on the AFP file system has an Owner and a Group which may have different privileges than you have. Like I said it's based on your logon. The Owner of a file should have different privileges than a Guest should have right?

And last but not least,
Many applications will allow only a single instance of any file to be open at any one time. This insures that edits to a file occur in a sequential nature.

So in other words, if the guy next to me is editing Image1.jpg with Adobe Photoshop on a Macintosh CPU, having opened this Image1.jpg via an AFP share that he has mounted.
Then Photoshop would lock the file, preventing any other user from opening Image1.jpg until he has finished his work and saves the file back to the server, thereby releasing the lock... Nothing new here.

The issue that I really wonder about is
Given the example above, will a Macintosh version of Adobe Photoshop using an AFP mount, lock Image1.jpg against a Windows PC running Adobe Photoshop that has mounted the file-system with SMB? If so, since what version?

For others willing to comment here, does your comment apply for all network configurations?

In other words, all Unix based file-systems assigned file ownership and RWX rights to each and every file. Many Windows file-systems only assigned logon rights, not individual file rights.

Well I hope my Old-School comments have helped somewhat;)

Regards - OtherThoughts

I wonder if there is some reason the file type is not recognized until you move it to your desktop. Check the "Open With" in Get Info box, before and after you move it. You may need to help the OS recognize which application to use by setting the "open with" and the option to open all file like this with the selected application.

Bruce Moore
PowerQuote Print Estimating Software

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back