i1 Pro Density Readings

Cris

I hope this does not sound like a silly question but my company just got an i0 table and an i1 Pro that attaches to it. I have been trying to figure out how to read the density of ink blocks on press sheets and can not seem to find the option in any of the software. We have the Eye-One and ColorPort programs. We are using FlexoProof by GMG and I called them and they said I can't read densities with their software. In addition, I contacted X-Rite and they responded by sending me a link in an email that doesn't answer my question but is a link to more of their equipment. So much for a straight answer or customer service. Does anyone have any ideas how I can read densities with the i1? From what I've been able to find it looks like I will have to put in to buy more software just to read density patches which honestly seems silly because density readings should be a basic and easily accessible function of the i1. I'm becoming more frustrated because we were told that everything that we needed to read like density, dot gain, Lab, Delta Es and so on the i1 can do but I'm suspecting it takes different software for each function. Any help would be appreciated.

MeasureTool (Part of the ProfileMaker Package) will yield density readings, but only if you have a dongle. Dot area/gain data isn't available in MeasureTool from spot readings, but can be accessed from chart measurements, provided you measure with spectral data. Note that these are apparently based on DIN filtration rather than Status T. Density reported from text files is paper relative (paper density subtracted out), while spot measurements can be either relative or absolute.

There are other solutions, but for quick spot measurements, the one I recommend in BabelColor's CT&A, which allows for i1 spot measurement of density (various status density, dot area/gain, apparent trap print contrast, hue error/grayness, and a host of other analysis tools, for only $75.

Thanks meddington. That definitely helps me get on the right path towards finding an inexpensive solution. Have you ever used CT&A? Is it as reliable as other solutions that you can think of? What were your other solutions if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks meddington. That definitely helps me get on the right path towards finding an inexpensive solution. Have you ever used CT&A? Is it as reliable as other solutions that you can think of? What were your other solutions if you don't mind me asking?

I use CT&A quite frequently for quick measurements or density/dotgain, CIELab/spectral and ambient light measurement. Fantastic tool for the price. Other solutions are more full featured...like products from PressSign, MellowColour, ColorMetrix, SpotOn!, etc and oriented towards process control and trending. Depends on what your needs are.

BTW, you can save out density measurements from Colorport, just not geared for spot measurement.

Thanks again for all the info meddington. I have not heard of a couple of those solutions. As many years as I've been in printing I've only seen a couple of programs used in the different plants or shops I've been to.

Thanks AdamZx3. I went to the link you gve me, put in my info and it will not allow me to download it. I get the message:
After submitting, you will be redirected to the download link.
GMGColor - Products - Contact form RapidCheck GO!
###LLL:danke_ok_website###
I can't click on it and it never redirects me. Do you have a solution or should I do something else? Nothing comes up on my web browser that a wondow was blocked.
It's strange that I have told GMG that I needed a program to read densities and they said they had nothing to read densities. I also feel foolish I never found it on their website. I did search for density reading and software but it never came up.

If the patches you are trying to read are part of a target configured in ColorPort, you can use that app to read density. From the Measure Tab click the italic I (info) button in the Measurement Status section to bring up the Info window. There you can display Lab, colorimetric, spectral and density.

When you save the data, if you choose the CSV option, you can include density info, with or without paper included and your choice of Status A, E or T

Thanks AdamZx3. I went to the link you gve me, put in my info and it will not allow me to download it. I get the message:
After submitting, you will be redirected to the download link.
GMGColor - Products - Contact form RapidCheck GO!
###LLL:danke_ok_website###
I can't click on it and it never redirects me. Do you have a solution or should I do something else? Nothing comes up on my web browser that a wondow was blocked.
It's strange that I have told GMG that I needed a program to read densities and they said they had nothing to read densities. I also feel foolish I never found it on their website. I did search for density reading and software but it never came up.

Yea don't feel bad I never knew it existed either :) Pretty handy app through, it even gives you TVI spread, Delta E for TVI and paper color (based on specified standard)gray balance, and even shows the NPDC if your using gracol G7.

I can zip it up for you and send it over tomorrow at work, just pm me your email address.

Now that cmcfarling mentioned it, colorport will give densities as well. Both programs use a target strip, but I believe you can make your own strip in Colorport & RapidCheck with just solids.

cmfarling - I haven't configured a target in ColorPort for the patches but that is a great idea, thanks. I will have to go through the help guide and see how to do it.

AdamZx3 - my email is [email protected]
I appreciate that you are willing to do that for me. I wrote GMG but I don't know when they will get back to me. Your sending it is immediate gratification and who doesn't like that? : )

AdamZx3 - Thanks for the RapidCheck download. I had trouble with one computer but when to another, downloaded it again and it came across fine. I haven't gotten to use it yet because I am on another project so hopefully later today or tomorrow I will get to play with it. I hope it has a guide on how to use it but it does look straight forward and self explanatory.

... I hope it has a guide on how to use it but it does look straight forward and self explanatory.

It should install an english pdf when you install it, but I forget where it sticks it. If not let me know. But yea it's pretty straight forward for the most part.

Be aware, that i1 has no polarisation filter, so density results will not be equal to densities, you measured with densitometer with built in pol filter.

Janez

I just wanted to let readers know where they can find ColorMetrix and SpotOn! software mentioned by Michael

I use CT&A quite frequently for quick measurements or density/dotgain, CIELab/spectral and ambient light measurement. Fantastic tool for the price. Other solutions are more full featured...like products from PressSign, MellowColour, ColorMetrix, SpotOn!, etc and oriented towards process control and trending. Depends on what your needs are.

BTW, you can save out density measurements from Colorport, just not geared for spot measurement.

The ColorMetrix products can be found at our web-site ColorMetrix – Color Verification and Process Control Software for Densitometers and Spectrophotometers and the products of SpotOn! whom we have an interoperability and cross selling agreement can be found at SpotOn! Press Software:

Michael is correct in stating that both our product are more robust and full featured tools for detailed color verification and process control as well as G7 validation with the SpotOn! tools. Feel free to use contact tools on either web-site to arrange a free 30-day trial of either or both product lines.

Regards,
Jim Raffel
ColorMetrix Technologies, LLC
follow me on Twitter at: @raffel or @ColorMetrix
read my industry blog at: JimRaffel.com – A Blog About My Life In The Printing Industry

janezl - I read all my densities using the i1 so I should be consistent with all my readings. Thanks for the heads up though.

Hi AdamZx3,

I am looking for density reading with the i1-pro for some time.
I read your emails and tried to download the RapidCheck but no success.

Can you ZIP it for me?

Thanks ;)

Hi AdamZx3,

I am also looking for GMG RapidCheck Go but with no success.
Could you please provide me a copy too?
Thank you.

GMG RapidCheck GO and all other GMG products are for PC only as mostly all of Pro products from any color rip manufacturer with a very few exceptions. The main 3 color rips are also all german products.

Can you suggest any software which can help to read densities from a color strip/bar with an i1 basic Pro device?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back