ICC Profiling Service

david

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a service where someone can print out a target sheet and send it off to be made into a profile?
The main idea would be to profile a color printer to output close to the Gracol standard.

There's Printer Profiles Online. I know for a guaranteed fact this outfit makes some first rate profiles, if not necessarily much in the way of money.

Ahem...

Note that with any profiling service though, what you'll get is a profile of the machine you want profiled in the condition it was in when you printed the patches you send in. That's not going to be Gracol or particularly close to it.

Getting there takes a few more steps, although a rock-solid profile of the proofing printer is the first.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

ICC Profiling Service

We can certainly do this; contact me at info(at)mspgraphics.com for assistance. To get the best results the following should be given some thought when printing the chart:

1. If the printer is driven by a RIP it should be set up for the paper you're printing on--ink limits/linearization, resolution, screening method. There may be a preset you can use that corresponds roughly to the paper at hand. Color management must be disabled.

2. If the printer is driven by an RGB driver you will have to print an RGB chart. You must disable CM in the printing application (e.g. Photoshop) and select the correct media type in the printer driver and also disable CM there.

3. Don't try to do press proofing on an inappropriate paper. Proofing papers are specially formulated to be sufficiently high in reflectance, have low levels of optical brighteners, and high ink limits. See your paper vendor or ask our advice for recommendations.

Matching press or other output requires both source (reference) and output (printer) profiles to be selected. The former can be a standard profile like GRACoL, SWOP3, etc., and the latter will be your custom printer profile. If the paper is capable, the printer profile good, the RIP or driver settings the same as when the chart was made (with CM turned back on and rendering intent set to absolute colorimetric), yes, the match will automatically be quite good.

Mike Strickler
MSP Graphic Services

Profiling Follow up

Profiling Follow up

Thanks for the responses, they bring up some additional points and questions.

The client has a Canon Pro 9000 printer which uses the 7 inks that include the photo versions of cyan, mag, etc. They have been printing on a highly glossy paper using the full range of the printer, and then want this reproduced in books on press.

I am thinking that first off they need to switch from this glossy paper to the actual coated stock their books are printed on. Then to profile the printer and finally to then print the same Gracol standard that the book printer "Aspires" too.

At the very least it seems this should get them into the same universe?

The client has a Canon Pro 9000 printer which uses the 7 inks that include the photo versions of cyan, mag, etc. They have been printing on a highly glossy paper using the full range of the printer, and then want this reproduced in books on press.

Most likely the proofer has a larger color gamut than a press, any press. Not absolutely true, but likely.

I am thinking that first off they need to switch from this glossy paper to the actual coated stock their books are printed on. Then to profile the printer and finally to then print the same Gracol standard that the book printer "Aspires" too.

The stock being used on press would not be appropriate for use with an ink-jet device. The paper would have to be coated for ink-jet receptivity. There has been some movement in this area, if they want to go that route. Roloccolor is doing this (http://www.roloccolor.com/) - I have no idea about costs. This is Trish Wales' company, and she's the paper guru.

GRACoL is for #1 or #2 grade stocks. Would a book printer be printing on that high grade paper?

From what you're saying, David, they should spend the money to have someone come in and go through the workflow. Where is your client located? There are some outstanding color consultants in every region of the country.

Last edited:
David, if you need a great color guy in your area then you should talk with Earl McGhee of I Do Color. He's right in your backyard. Heck, maybe even in your front yard...

Thanks for the responses, they bring up some additional points and questions.

At the very least it seems this should get them into the same universe?

First question is how do they drive this device, I can creat a profile but can they use it?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back