Illustrator CS4 pagesize EPS file

Fatboysmart

When I save an Illustrator EPS file from AI CS3, and then drop it on the distiller the page size is always the maximum pagesize, which is huge.

Up to CS2 an EPS would be the size of the elements in the file.
Is there any way to change this back so it behaves like before?

Last edited:
I think your issue has less to do with Illustrator and more to do with your Distiller settings. Make sure that "Resize page and center artwork for EPS files", under the Advanced tab, is checked on. See the attached image.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 174
I think your issue has less to do with Illustrator and more to do with your Distiller settings. Make sure that "Resize page and center artwork for EPS files", under the Advanced tab, is checked on. See the attached image.

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the distiller setting you mentioned, and it is checked on in all distiller settings I ever use, so that is not the problem. If you save a .EPS file from CS3 and drop it on the distiller, the resulting PDF file is the size of the elements in the PDF? I'm not sure if this is a general 'problem', or if it just occurs on my system. If you would try this for me I would appreciate it very much.

I just tried it for you:

In AiCS3, new document, size 10 x 10. Create a 1 x 1 box with no stroke, no fill. Save as eps. Distill in Distiller CS3 using Press Quality. View pdf in Acrobat 8 Pro. Document properties: page size: 1 x 1.

Al

What I would try is to make a box with a stroke and fill of none in Illustrator that is exactly you preferred page size and position it to exactly the page boundry in Illustrator. Then select that box and go to the Object menu, down to Crop Area and select Make. Save as EPS. Once you distill your EPS file you will get a bounding box of one inch larger than your page.

"Once you distill your EPS file you will get a bounding box of one inch larger than your page."

Why would that be? With what Distiller setting? Which Distiller version?

In any case a needed precaution for recent versions of Illustrator, is that the pasteboard must be large enough to encompass all objects because anything outside of it will be left out.

Al

I'm sorry, I was a little vague.
In CS3 you select your empty box and go to Object, Crop Area, Make.
In CS4 you select your empty box and go to Effect, Crop Marks.
Te result should be the same, Illustrator will make 3/8" crop marks withan offset of 1/8" around your box

I just tried it for you:

In AiCS3, new document, size 10 x 10. Create a 1 x 1 box with no stroke, no fill. Save as eps. Distill in Distiller CS3 using Press Quality. View pdf in Acrobat 8 Pro. Document properties: page size: 1 x 1.

Al

This is exactly how I use to do it. Create an 'empty' box which would then become the page size of the final PDF. I have made some progress however. It seems that a .EPS file made in CS3 works as it should if I use the Distiller of CS3. If I use an older distiller however (in my case the one that came with CS1), I get the problem that the pagesize is 5000 x 5000 cm. I have checked all distiller settings and they are exactly the same. I always used the CS1 distiller since it has all my custom distiller options there.

I guess the best way is to stop using the CS1 distiller and switch to the CS3 distiller. Only thing I have to do is move all my custom distiller options to the CS3 distiller. Is there a way to do this 'the easy way'?

Everyone thank you for your Input and help!

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the distiller setting you mentioned, and it is checked on in all distiller settings I ever use, so that is not the problem. If you save a .EPS file from CS3 and drop it on the distiller, the resulting PDF file is the size of the elements in the PDF? I'm not sure if this is a general 'problem', or if it just occurs on my system. If you would try this for me I would appreciate it very much.

I tested it before I responded.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back