illustrator file problem

I got a problem with illustrator files. When do trapping myself in illustrator (overprint stroke) my harlequin rip doesn't keep it but in all others application (indesign, quark, etc...) it works very well.

Can someone help me??

In addition to what version rip you are sending the file to, how are you sending the file to the rip? How are you saving the file out of Illustrator, and then are you printing to a queue, sending postscript, or PDF?
BTW, if you are doing a lot of trapping in Adobe Illustrator you may want to look at this: EskoArtwork: Trapping made easy : Free trials available.

Last edited:
my rip version is rasterize 7.2.1 (polkadots) I made a bunch of test and only the illustrator file have problem. Even if I drag in my hotfolder a postcript or a pdf or a eps, the result are the same.
:confused:

Zombie is right. You may not want to post a customer file though, but if you could create a simple file that you know shows the same issue and upload that, that would be helpful. If you can send your file to another rip and it works, may be time to look at an upgrade (or change) to that rip.

The file is ok on my rip (Xitron Navigator 8.1, with default settings). See the attached file.
So, the problem is in your rip. I'll try to figure it out :)

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 231
Maybe an obvious suggestion, but are *other* overprints being respected by the RIP? Maybe it's a simple misconfiguration issue?

If your output from Quark/InD is separated, that may explain why they're immune to this problem.
2 cents.

Aye! use separated postscript!

Aye! use separated postscript!

If necessary, place the .eps into another layout program such as quark or indesign and generate separated postscript. As the .pdf is composite, the only way you can get the traps to work is to output separated postscript. I used to use trap wise for this purpose, but now i use prinergy evo built in trapping. Also, you can try to output directly from illustrator, sending separations to the RIP. This is kind of a pain to get the marks just right, but should also work well.

honor, preserve, replace, ignore - trap settings in a RIP

honor, preserve, replace, ignore - trap settings in a RIP

I got a problem with illustrator files. When do trapping myself in illustrator (overprint stroke) my harlequin rip doesn't keep it but in all others application (indesign, quark, etc...) it works very well.

Can someone help me??

While I do not have access to the version of the RIP you are using, there are different ways to process settings - trap objects might actually be in you PDF - but the rip has the ability to "honor, preserve, replace, ignore" these trap settings. That would be the FIRST place I would look. Clearly, the overprint setting is ON in the file, but that does not mean it will be parsed and applied.

in your simple example, you clearly could fix this example easy enough by making the stroke be 100 yellow and 100 cyan - then you would not need to worry about if your rip can honor only the stroke overprints -- but this may not work when the type transitions over other colors, as i am sure you already know !

Second - since Adobe Illustrator can export PDF/X1a - and as I see that the PDF example file you supplied is NOT a PDF/X1a file - you might try exporting to that and see if that triggers your rip to process these overprinting strokes that you are using to trap.

Third - If you are printing from Illustrator, note that in the Print Dialog box, if you select as your Printer --> Adobe PostScript file - note that there are three (3) Modes...Composite, Separation (Host Based) and InRip Separations --> you might try all of these to see if that might trigger you RIP to honor the overprint settings - I forced overprint (i think) by opening that PDF file in Illustrator, saving it as an EPS file - and then opening that EPS file in Acrobat and saving it as a PDF/X1a file (attached) - I am not recommending that approach, but it would be interesting to learn if that changes the stroke object into something your RIP honors...

Forth - have you tried outling the type ? It may be that the rip can't figure out the font properly and is simply ignoring that the type has a stroke set to overprint - perhaps converting the type to outline?

Anyway, these are some of the ideas - hope one of them helps.

Attachments

• TEST_4_eps_to_pdfx.pdf
    618.2 KB · Views: 239

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back