Illustrator out of memory messages with 4gb RAM installed!

Caled

I've recently upgraded my PC workstation to Vista 64 bit edition from XP professional 32 bit edition. I'm getting problems in Vista with Illustrator CS3 telling me that there is not enough memory to place an image when I try to import a non native AI file such as PSD. This is daft as I've got 4gb of RAM and a very fast quad core processor and the files open ok in XP professional 32 bit edition and are not very big at all.
Is there a way to increase the amount of RAM available to Illustrator in Vista 64 bit like you can do with a Mac? Is there an issue with Illustrator CS3 and Vista 64 bit? I upgraded to 64 bit so that I could fully utilise the 4gb I have installed. In 32 bit editions, due to the way Windows maps memory, 2gb is the maximum available. How can I get IllustratorCS3 to stop showing these out of memeory messages and import files in the way it should?

Edited by: Colin on Jul 1, 2008 6:24 AM

Re: Illustrator out of memory messages with 4gb RAM installed!

The problem you are experiencing has nothing to do whatsoever with the amount of RAM installed on your system. Furthermore, unlike static memory systems like old MacOS (prior to 10) and old MSDOS, current operating systems are virtual memory systems where memory is allocated "on the fly" from a virtual memory pool. What +may+ be happening with your system is that you have exhausted +virtual memory+ not +real memory.+ Check your settings for size and location of the paging file. Under the 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, you probably need at least 8 to 16 gigabytes of paging file space if you are running multiple programs each processing large documents.

- Dov

Thanks Dov for your reply. Initially I did increase the paging file size but this has made no difference. The PSD files are only 200KB and open easily in Illustrator CS2 but not in CS3 where I get a message saying "There is not enough memory to place the file". I've used both the open and place commands but this still appears. Strange that CS2 can open it but CS3 can't on the same Vista 64 OS.
I've run msconfig and closed all uneccessary programs and this has made no difference either.

I dug this off the adobe forums, hope it helps.

"While there seems to be a workaround for Vista-64, there does not seem to be one for XP-64.
The import photoshop file issue in Vista-64 seems to be tied to disabling the 'desktop composition' feature of Windows Aero (which is why running Illustrator CS3 in compatibility mode also works - it effectively disables that feature as well).

As for XP-64, this obviously isn't the same issue. It must be caused by something else altogether... The question is, what is it? "

"Try checking the "Disable desktop composition" box, located directly below "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" selection menu. If that doesn't work by itself, try it in conjunction with the compatibility mode set to WinXP, Win 2000, etc.
Hopefully this will give you a result! "

Blatantly copied from adobe forums. :)

Edited by: nelly on Jul 8, 2008 6:14 PM

Thanks Nelly that has solved the problem. Windows 7 which is the replacement for Vista is shipping 1st quarter 2010. Let's hope that all the compatability issues are solved.

I have never registered cause i hate to register takes time alway from doing work but I had this same problem and i just could not figure it out and it seems no one had the answer well i believe i have it for everyone. What i did is used my ccleaner and fixed the registry then i used the deflagger and defragged me C harddrive fully defrag! and walla! I could save my illustrator files that was a banner 24" X 32" that i could not even save it in the smallest PDF file at low res. Well i hope this works for you guys good luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back