Illustrator Variable Data Script

Stephen Marsh

As a community service announcement, I would like to share the following “VariableImporter” script created by Vasily Hall. The script is hosted over at GitHub:

https://github.com/Silly-V/Adobe-Illustrator/blob/master/Variable Importer/VariableImpor ter.jsx

I was a beta tester of this free script and I have put together a basic tutorial here:

Prepression: Illustrator – VariableImporter Script Tutorial

The script automates the conversion of tab or comma separated text files into Illustrator compatible .XML data, immediately ready for direct use in the Illustrator Variables window – without leaving Illustrator. There are other useful features offered by the script, such as the ability to rename source column headers, rename data set names, saving the imported tab/comma data as .XML and auto binding variables to named objects.

Hope this helps!

Stephen Marsh

Thank You!

Thank You!

Thank you for sharing this script.

Is this compatible with AI Creative Cloud? CS6? Are there any version concerns we should know before installing this?

Thank you for sharing this script.

Is this compatible with AI Creative Cloud? CS6? Are there any version concerns we should know before installing this?

It is a script, so it can be installed without impacting the system (and being free, it comes with no warranty or guarantee, see the disclaimer in the text of the script, work on a copy of a critical file etc). If you have errors when run, let me know. I have listed known limitations/issues at my blog linked above. I am not sure what version the script was built and tested around. I personally have only tested it in CS5 and CS6. I have not received any advice that it is not compatible with CC> (it would depend on whether Adobe have changed the way scripting or variables work in later versions).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back