iMac color calibration

gsterwald

I'm looking for feedback from anyone using the new iMacs for color accuracy.

Is it possible to get a decent representation of your hard proof on your iMac?

I don't need it for contract proofing, I just want to be able to do color correction and have a decent representation of what will print.

As with all displays, as long as you operate within the displays colour gamut you get good representation. There is a problem with the consistency as you change viewing angle, and some screens I have found hava a little variation across the area, but I know those that are happy to work with them, and find that it is adequate consistency between screen and final output.

yes they're surprinsingly good

yes they're surprinsingly good

I actually found new imacs on par with some of the best graphics arts quality monitors thanks to the LED backlight, the good quality IPS panel and Adobe-RGB built in profile. Better than the LaCie's we have, anyway. I put a spyder colorimeter on the 21" imac just out of curiosity trying to see if it makes any difference but was a waste of time :)

Hi gsterwald.

Generally, iMacs are fairly okay when comparing hardcopy with the display. I use Ugra's Visual Print Reference to compare the harcopy with my monitor after calibration. But I try to reduce the luminance from a usual high of 390 cd/m2 to about 160-180 cd/m2. The default luminance is too bright, IMHO. But when using a validator to compare your iMac's colors to the those of ISO Coated v2 (ECI) chances are the Delta E in the Cyan will Fail while the rest of the primaries will be having a good Delta E. I've also tried calibrating and validating iMacs from different companies and it's showing the same results every time. I'm guessing this is a limitation of the device. Not sure of this though. I normalize the device using 5800K and 1.8 Gamma. But that's just my preference. You can try other values if you wish.

imac_c10.jpg

My humble thoughts.

Last edited:
LED monitors..... in different angle it looks differently (colors)....i think apple cinema TFT monitor is better than apple LED monitor

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back