In Search of a 3rd Party VDPrint Provider

jardo

Hello All,
I have been given the task to select a "perfect" 3rd party VDPrint provider that can suite our needs as a XMPie user. We will be creating the InDesign document with all the variable data with the XMPie plugins and processing with our XMPie server. The file will be zipped/packaged and ready to go with all the images, fonts, variable data. What should we demand that our digital 3rd part printer have. I know the RIP is important for processing what could potentially be a very large file. Any 1 or 2 a must? Any particular digital print device better in someones eyes? Any 1 or 2 a must? I know there are many. What are some other requirements should I be asking them, to make them a perfect partner? Thanks to all that reply in advance.

Re: In Search of a 3rd Party VDPrint Provider

Yes, the RIP is a big thing, but another is what type of variable data output format they'd like you'd to send them your files as. There's VIPP, VPS, PPML as well as more standard PS or PDF.

With complex jobs with lots of assets that are changing it's best to use one of the variable formats and which one depends largely on which RIP is driving their output device. Creo likes VPS, Xerox likes VIPP, but the also support multiple formats. If the printer is worth their salt they should be well versed in these formats and have recommendations for you on which they recommend.

Some vendors may prefer to have you give them a campaign package (ckpg) and do the generation of the printstream on their end - that's assuming they have an XMPie server.

Here at my shop we have a iGen3 driven by a Xerox DocuSP and a EFI Fiery, and we've used VPS, PPML and PDF for variable data output that was generated from our uProduce server. We looked at the HP Indigo and the Kodak NexPress before deciding on the iGen, and I would highly recommend it.

I agree with Shalom on the file format point. I believe XMPie can output all of the popular digital press formats (PDF, PS, PPML, etc) so that shouldn't be an issue. Regarding which digital press is superior, I have heard good things about the Kodak Nexpress.

The rip also needs a VIPP license installed or it won't print the entire file.

You may also want them to have in-line finishing capabilities if you have to keep the job in sequence ( postal sort for example ).

Jardo,

I am new to the board, but we utilize the server version of XMPie and would more than happy to answer quesitons if you still have any. I just noticed this post was quite a bit ago.

Reese

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back