InDesign - creating 500 pages with linked text boxes

JLRobertson

I have 500 names that are to be imprinted onto previously printed placemats.

Is there a way to create an InDesign document that will have 500 pages each with a linked text box so I can import the names from a supplied text file, one per page? Sounds like a job for a script to me, but I haven't had much luck finding anything.

Or am I thinking in the wrong direction here?

regards etc ...

Window > Automation > Data Merge. In the palette, select "choose data source," then find the text file. I always use CSV, but a plain text file will probably work. The first line in the text file should be "name" or some other label, because the first line is used as a label for the column. With the text cursor in a text frame (be sure to make the frame large enough to accommodate the longest name), select the <<name>> field from the palette. Then use the command in the palette menu to create the merged document. If your template document is a single page, you'll get a new document with as many pages as there are names in the text file.

A good tip is to format the text box (font style, size, etc.) with some dummy type before importing the .csv file. Format your type (by using the longest name, so you know all the others will fall into place), then delete it from the text box, THEN bring in your merge info.

Isn't there a way for ID to automatically generate new pages/text boxes as needed, or am I thinking of Quark?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back