InDesign CS5 and Magic Mouse driving me nuts...

LoneGoose

The combination of InDesign and Magic Mouse is driving me crazy. The slightest fingers movement over the Magic Mouse sends InDesign's page view scrolling all over the place!

Any idea how I can disable the Magic Mouse scrolling in InDesign?

I don't want to turn it off in system preferences because I'll loose scrolling functionality in other programs (Safari, Finder etc.)...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Damn thing drives me crazy sometimes too.
I just try to keep my finger touching the mouse and it helps.

Add me to the list. I'd also like to get rid of that darn circle that shows up in the center on my document now. WTF do they keep adding stuff we don't want or need?

The darn cirlcle / target thing gets me as well; every time I want to move an image frame I end up hitting the target and move the image within its frame. Much prefer when I used to have to press "a" for the direct tool and then at least knew what I was moving.

If Apple or Adobe aren't going to address this I will consider getting a different mouse - will break my heart, but I'm going to have to or otherwise suffer early-onset carpal-tunnel from having to keeping my fingers so darn stiff on the mouse.

I don't have a mouse (except the one that visits the kitchen) Use a bamboo and a trackpad. But would suggest you try turning off the multi-gesture support in the InDesign prefs (will dissable pinch scaling and rotation of objects which i find happens involuntarily on a laptop)...*does it help?

:( I have my trackpad get disabled when I connect my bamboo... just 'cause I hate the scroll by mistake. It really is strange that apple won't let you configure the mouse per application, keyboard shortcuts can be controlled by app (and so can wacom tablets, joysticks and other HID) It was easier to know when you where on the scroller with other mice.

Okay, have found the answer on Adobe forums! BetterTouchTool - you can add CS5 as an application and then disable single-finger scrolling. You can then still scroll with two fingers if you want to, and your scrolling still works throughout the rest of your operating system. Sweet!

I found out that circle is called the "Content Indicator". You can turn if off by going to View/ Extras/ Hide Content Grabber.

FWIW, I abandoned Apple mouse since the disastrous Mighty Mouse - and, judging by this post, they didn't get any friendlier.

It made me discover a totally amazing mouse though - Microsoft (yes) Natural Wireless Laser Mouse - and I'm very happy about it. A friend of mine who stopped by said it's an "orgasmic experience" to use it - and I agree with her.

It's a relatively old mouse and by now there's a lot of other mouses similar in shape and convenience of various brands. It's the kind of mouse that is much taller than the classic mouse and fits your hand, well, naturally. Strongly recommend!

Thanks,

Leo
===
Zevrix Solutions
Zevrix Solutions. Solutions for Graphics, Print & File Delivery.

Last edited:
I don't have a mouse (except the one that visits the kitchen) Use a bamboo and a trackpad. But would suggest you try turning off the multi-gesture support in the InDesign prefs (will dissable pinch scaling and rotation of objects which i find happens involuntarily on a laptop)...*does it help?

How do you use your Bamboo in InDesign? I'm trying hard to, but can't find a comfortable way of using it, especially when selecting/moving objects or drawing frames …

Btw the BTT tip helped me a lot ;-)

Its as simple as to turn off inertia for the magic mouse and everything works like a charm.

Fii

I gave up using Apple funny mices when came the one having a little ball above: I tested it 1 day, then put it back in it's bag, and I bought "normal" mices from other manufacturers. My last one is a Logitech MX1000: not as beautiful as the Apple MightyMouse, but much more efficient!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back