indesign data merge quesstion

wonderings

I am setting up a file for a data merge using indesign CS6. Some of the data fields will be empty. In the picture below (example only) if address 2 was not there, it would remove the empty space and shift everything else up. Can I set it to move down so the bottom line always stays in the same position?

ScreenShot2013-02-20at111213AM_zps65f60b0f.png

Sure - set the Vertical Justification to Bottom for that text box (Object>Text Frame Options). The default is Top.

I am setting up a file for a data merge using indesign CS6. Some of the data fields will be empty. In the picture below (example only) if address 2 was not there, it would remove the empty space and shift everything else up. Can I set it to move down so the bottom line always stays in the same position?

ScreenShot2013-02-20at111213AM_zps65f60b0f.png

Are you missing the comma between city and state?
and yeah text frame options justify to bottom will work.
I am having a problem of the empty space not removing even though I tell it to remove empty spaces when exporting. any ideas?

Is the data file truly empty, or perhaps does it contain a space?

good idea, i will check that next time. it appears empty in the data file but i bet you are right about it containing a space or something.

thanks for the help, I knew it was something simple like that.

That was just a sample, a quick visual I guess, I know I work better with a visual. Thanks again!

Going to revive an old question, though its not the same question. I have another file with a lot of data to be merged. This is supplied by the client. They have a standard setup like I original posted. Except this time for the AddressLine 2 section, they have each part in a different cell, so for example "Apt" would be in one cell, and the apt number "23" would be in the following cell. Because they are separate I need a space between for it to look right. Unfortunately this now leaves me with a space between, so when it comes to the names without the AddressLine 2 it leaves the space rather then removing it as it should. Any way to get around this?

As far as I know this can not be done with standard mail merge. I would go back to the data and create a new field to build the entire line.

Paul

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back