Indesign Exporting for Print

LG1

We are having difficulty exporting files for print when documents are smaller than A5 or the width is less than 148.5mm. We can't find a way of exporting that document for print (to pdf, fiery etc) and currently have to export to eps/jpeg and drop into quark express, then send to print from there. Is there a way of exporting files smaller than A5 (A6, custom size etc) in Indesign to print?

Thanks

Thanks but when we export to pdf to the fiery queue it comes up at the smaller size in the middle of an A4 document - are we doing something wrong when exporting to pdf?

You say you are exporting the PDF from InDesign, are you choosing File>Export or are you by any chance printing to a PostScript first and then distilling, or perhaps printing to a PDF creator?

The reason I ask is that if you choose File>Export, you can't really alter the size unless you add bleed or slug areas or crop marks. If it is showing up as "floating" in a larger size on the Fiery, perhaps it is a setting on the Fiery that is at fault.

What does the PDF look like when you open it in Acrobat? Does it look correct size, or does it appear to float in the larger page size?

Is there a reason you don't just print them from InDesign? I don't know why you'd want to export to print.

I have been exporting to pdf business card size pages 3.5 x 2 inch since ID2 and I am up to IDCS6, and in all these versions I have done it with bleed/no bleed and/or with/without crop marks. Never had any trouble.

Al

I print many things to our Xerox color copier directly from InDesign. The only time I export from InDesign to a PDF is if I need the customer to approve the layout. I've printed all sorts of odd sized envelopes from the program with a bit of experimenting.

I'm trying to understand why you'd want to export a PDF from this program to print it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back