Indigo 3550 vs Xerox 1000 - Opinions?

ErnieLail

Looking into getting away from our current machines and getting an Indigo 3550 or a Xerox 1000. Have any of you guys had experience with these machines? Which would you prefer? Any inherent issues i should be aware of?

I have a Xerox 800 which is the same printer just at a slower speed. It has become a really stable printer for us and I'm happy with it. It is not a full production level printer however so you do not get perfect print output and the toner has a gloss to it. I really like the idea of an indigo until I remember the cost per print, the small image size (12x18") and the fact that you pretty much have to coat anything coming off it.

If HP sold the units for cheaper I would get around all of those issues but to pay a premium and still have quarks doesn't make sense to me. Image quality is outstanding however and the ability to use 7 colors is cool.

Thanks for the feedback! From what the salesman said the indigo no longer needs the sheets to be coated to be rub resistant for sheet fed. Maybe tech has changed?

I noticed you said "has become" did you go through a initial period up front where you had a ton of issues?

From what the salesman said the indigo no longer needs the sheets to be coated to be rub resistant for sheet fed.

If the salesperson isn't lying, and why would they ;), that is very interesting to hear.

As for the x800 we bought one of the first units so we went through a lot of growing pains with a new product release. They have since been resolved but I could have kicked my salespersons breakfast back into the toaster at one point.

Series 3 Indigos have very good adhesion. The 3550 is a series 2, which is also very good. the early series 1 machines had more difficulties.
--
There are a ton of HP certified papers these days. Once upon a time, you had to saphire coat papers to be sure of decent adhesion.
--
The cost concerns are for real though. Indigo's are very expensive to own and operate...
but they print beautifully.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back