interesting issue on our speedmaster 52

rbailleu

we are having a problem on our sm52 ( see attached) I believe this to be dripping of the wash solution onto rollers. the spacing is of lines is right. what I can understand is we added ink directly to the rollers and turned off the water. let the machine tone. and the lines came right back right where you see them.
no the plate was not bad. we cleaned the blue unit and ran the black there, ran fine. tried 3 different inks. did a quick deglazing with 3 different products. tried spraying a little alcohol on the rollers. no luck yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 187
Check to see if the rollers in that unit are oscillating side to side. I have seen a case where the nut on the inker (gear side)has come loose and the rollers stop moving and you end up with stripes. Or the arm on the gear side that drives the oscillation is broken.

no blanket washer in machine at the time. I will check the oscillating. left an overnite cleaner in last night and washed up with new blanket wash today. ran fine after that.

Check to see if the rollers in that unit are oscillating side to side. I have seen a case where the nut on the inker (gear side)has come loose and the rollers stop moving and you end up with stripes. Or the arm on the gear side that drives the oscillation is broken.

I agree with you on this one. Looks rather fetching though

You are probably right that it is far fetching. I checked my memory bank and recall that when there was no oscillation, the stripes corresponded with the width of the ink fountain keys.Iin the PDF picture I only see 13 zones and there would be around 20 on an SM52.

it was not oscillating enough . putting back to full osc. solved that issue. but brought back another issue. so we found a happy middle ground.

If I recall the position on the arm (that looks like a dog biscuit) should be White 6 as a starting point with full oscillation. To get to that point unlock the nut so that it is loose inch the press around until the White number 6 is at the bottom. Pull downward on the arm and lock it up. This should also give you maximum oscillation. The different number settings are there for the purpose of shifting the ink distribution to maximize coverage from the lead edge of the sheet to the tail edge. For example setting the arm at Red 3 with full oscillation will distribute the coverage differently from front to back. Check your manual to see if there is a chart that explains the different scenarios.

thank you, the problem we have is that when set to full osc we get horizontal lines of toning/tinting. so we have to drop osc ot about 20 instead of 35 interestingly it only happens on the black head.

lookin over his thread it looks as if your reducing the lateral osscilation on a unit to mask a problem, speedys tend to tone up on the blankets when form to plates are to heavy, most pressmen say 4mm each stripe but the manual and experience say different. no 1 ink form to the plate is mega important if z is engaged it should only just touch ! 1mm to 2 ! 2 n 3 less important but 4 should be very light too. Many times on a 52 ive had toning and removed no 4 form and bang no probs. Very powerfull inking unit for size of press just got to know how to optimise it.

Paul the ex printer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back