IPA Elimination

Hai

I hope i get answer for below questions

In sheet fed offset Its possible to print without IPA?If possible kindly explain how and which fount is suitable and what is the ratio.

Printing without alcohol requires that you have excellent systems in place to monitor your processes. Wash up procedures that ensure smooth transfer of ink/water. Plate processing that can be checked using plate readers for background scum. Procedures for monitoring Plate processing chemistry with regular chemistry changes.
Printing roller checks for durometer and correct settings.
Using correct plate/blankets squeezes.
Temperature control of your fountain solution and inking rollers.
Good fitration systems for your fountain solution.
In fact all the procedures you should have in place even if you were using Alcohol.
As for the magic fountain solution that will work flawlessly with your press, your ink and your pressroom environment that will require some testing on your part and lots of support from your fountain solution/ink supplier.
Good luck

Printing without alcohol requires that you have excellent systems in place to monitor your processes. Wash up procedures that ensure smooth transfer of ink/water. Plate processing that can be checked using plate readers for background scum. Procedures for monitoring Plate processing chemistry with regular chemistry changes.
Printing roller checks for durometer and correct settings.
Using correct plate/blankets squeezes.
Temperature control of your fountain solution and inking rollers.
Good fitration systems for your fountain solution.
In fact all the procedures you should have in place even if you were using Alcohol.
As for the magic fountain solution that will work flawlessly with your press, your ink and your pressroom environment that will require some testing on your part and lots of support from your fountain solution/ink supplier.
Good luck

Thank you very much sir

IPA free printing in sheetfed offset is most definitely possible.
As said above, a well maintained and correctly set up machine is indeed necessary and will make the process of switching over so much easier and more likely to succeed in the long-term.
Technical backup from the fount supplier is essential in making sure you succeed in eliminating IPA.
There have been great improvements in IPA free fount solutions over the past couple of years, so that all sheetfed offset machines have a real chance of running without IPA nowadays.

The European perspective on alcohol free printing is that it is possible under the correct circumstances. The American perspective on alcohol free printing for web and sheetfed is different. I would not want to say there are not sheetfed printers in the US running alcohol, but I could not name one of the top of my head. I know of no webs running IPA in the States or Canada. Most of the customers I helped get off of alcohol back in the 1980's do not even remember running alcohol.
There was/is a sheetfed plant in Los Angeles that used to have all Heidelberg equipment that hired a new supervisor for their sheetfed department (more of a customer relations position than most pressroom manager jobs) back in the mid 1990's. This gentleman was from somewhere in the UK, was an experienced manager and everyone liked him. After working there for several months he was approached by one of the pressmen with a problem on press and as part of his investigation he asked the pressman 'what is the alcohol level?' The pressman replied 'what are you talking about?' 'Are you daft? What is the F'n alcohol level?' 'I have no idea what you are talking about' he was told. When he went round to the fountain solution circulators he was shocked to see the Baldwin BalControl units were all missing and the holes in the tops of the circulators taped closed. He demanded that 12% IPA be put on press immediately but was told that not only did they not think they could find enough BalColtrol units to equip the one press, they didn't have any alcohol in the plant and would have to go through some trouble to get some. He was shocked to hear the pressman say, 'I have never run any alcohol before and am not sure what to do with it'. The supervisor went to the purchasing agent who told him not only would he not buy any alcohol, he had not bought any for years and had negotiated a reduction in the plants insurance rates for not having any flammable liquids on the premises. While all this was going on the pressman discovered he had some paper wrapped up on one of the inner form rollers on the first unit that was the cause of the problem that started the whole situation, removed it, and had finished the job while the supervisor was trying to get him some alcohol to 'solve' his problem. This shop at the time had a reputation as one of the top quality shops in America and was specializing in high-end automobile advertising and magazine inserts.

Oh my God! I hope they don't eliminate India Pale Ales! Oh, wait. Different IPA. Nevermind... :p

Hi Edward, yes it is possible to printing without IPA. Our company makes and sell pressroom chemicals, including several IPA FREE fountain solutions. Our latest is Titan Elite, this is a 100% IPA FREE fountain solution. We use this fountain solution on all presses from Heidelberg, Roland, KBA, Mitsubishi, Komori, etc. as well as on Heat-set webs. Our normal dosage is 4% but this could differ from press to press, on some presses you may only need 3% and on other presses you might require 4.5% dosage, it depends on the dampening systems being used on the various presses. Our Titan Elite does not require any special dampening rollers, but works with whatever rollers are on the presses. The last press we converted to IPA FREE printing was a Heidelberg 105XL, running 100% IPA at press speeds of 17.000 IPH, without any issues. Ink/Water levels were stable throughout a long press run of 60.000 sheets. We will be introducing Titan Elite in India during September 2012 and would be more than happy to come to your plant for a demonstration of Titan Elite. If you should be interested please let us know, and we will plan accordingly.

Lars Vistisen
Managing Director
ABC/Allied Pressroom Products (China) Limited

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back