Is $17 -$21.50 Really Not Enough ? Hiring Advice

PrintingFools

With 18 years in the business, I am stuck in a new problem. We need to hire an additional Graphic Designer. The resumes and work samples we receive are not as good as our current teams work. But, we decided to pick the best of what we got. We cant even get "Poor Quality" designers to work for $21.50 hr (start at $17 and bumped upto 21.50 before the year end).

1. Can I get some feedback on what everyone pays their Graphic Designers
2. Craigslist and indeed.com is not working, where to find great people?

We have been asked to pay $30-$40 HRS and thats not going to happen. Especially when the applicants are not as skilled as our current team. We are Located in Las Vegas.

Thanks In Advance

Last edited:
With 18 years in the business, I am stuck in a new problem. We need to hire an additional Graphic Designer. The resumes and work samples we receive are not as good as our current teams work. But, we decided to pick the best of what we got. We cant even get "Poor Quality" designers to work for $21.50 hr (start at $17 and bumped upto 21.50 before the year end).

1. Can I get some feedback on what everyone pays their Graphic Designers
2. Craigslist and indeed.com is not working, where to find great people?

We have been asked to pay $30-$40 HRS and thats not going to happen. Especially when the applicants are not as skilled as our current team.

Thanks In Advance

I would suggest that you post your general location. Wages vary greatly around the country. In my area the median household income is 43K, while I am sure people in other areas would swear it was impossible to live on twice that.

I can't give you the info you requested, so instead I will give you something else, that may or may not help. Here where I am, outside Kansas City, experienced 4-color pressman are getting around $20 an hour.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back