ISOcoated_v2 300 pt3 vs. PSO_LWC improved

maas

Afternoon

We have had some feedback from clients not happy with the lack of saturation in Magenta and Yellow on the press, we have always recommended clients colour manage their files to Fogra39L and ISOcoated_v2_300 icc profile with either papertype 1 or 3 compensation depending on stock.

the only change i can ascertain is the clients moving from ISOcoated_v2_300 icc profile to the Fogra45 based PSO_LWC_Improved icc profile when colour managing their files and proofing devices for papertype 3 files.

Attached is a screen shot of the PSO_LWC_Improved icc profile compared to the ISOcoated_v2_300 icc profile for papertype 3, the map shows the smaller gamut of the PSO_LWC_Improved icc profile specifically in the Red and Yelow which are the areas of concern on press i.e. the lack of punch in the fleshtones etc

My question to prepress guru's on the site is could this be a plausable explanation?in theory there should be no change, prior to clients moving away from the ISOcoated_v2_300 icc profile there were no issues.

regards
Maas

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 154
When you take a fingerprint-test of the press on must see that you gamma of your press is smaller then ISO Coated (with your lack of magenta and yellow). I would take a look at other highly pigmented ink.
On which paper do you print? Gloss, silk, mat?

Morning

The stock is a lwc 57gsm, the ink set used is Fogra acredited and has been in use for nearly 1 year.

I have asked the client to submit the next job at ISOcoated_300v2 to see if there is a measured difference, bedankt

tot ziens
Maas

I tried actually converting a saturated Red and Yellow RGB patch to both CMYK profiles mentioned...they were close to each other by a few of points. This was a CG image, not a natural photograph (so results may vary in the midtones etc).

Additionally, I guess it can depend on your viewpoint, if a profile is "perfect" or if a CMYK image can be "enhanced" above and beyond the initial conversion using CMYK edits and human knowlege that takes into account image content.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

you may check the magenta and yellow solid density in your production and the dot gain. You may find the answer.As i concern,the things not totally related to icc change, the big problem may be in your ink or press~

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back