Jet-Plate to Glunz & Jensen Conversion possible?

OkiTech

Hi everyone, Happy New year!
I had seen discussions in this forum about JetPlate , Glunz and Jensen Ink jet CTP and many others and being Jet-plate 4800 owner that never got single plate out of this system trying to make it work just to see if I can. I am a Business Equipment Sales and Service company owner and I guess I can say good and talented engineer who couple years ago desided - what the hell and opened copy center and later went offset printing as well. So here I have JetPlate that I bought really cheap because I wanted to make metal plates... Now a days Glunz & Jensen has their system that uses same printer, different marking fluid, blank plate and dryer VS Craftsman plate with developing process as we know it from JP. Why can't we draw JP marking fluid out and put G&J cartridge in and have a "G&J want to be system", empty tanks in processor, disconnect pumps, set heaters to 180 F in processor, remove rollers / release pressures and run it dry just to cure the plate....
I understand that there will be no support from G&J on this system but there is no support from JP so there is nothing to loose just 25+k investment.
Sure G&J full system has many bonuses over JP - sure they are in business for a start... But if performance and features of JP that satisfy your demands lets try to make it work with what available to us today.
Service? I guess descent service company from whereever you are that specializes in service of inkjet printers can treat this machine as printer and there for fix it. Processor probably can be fixed with same idea , worth come to worth if you run it completely out of life G&J's processor can be purchased - still less than whole new system.
Please keep in mind that I am kind of rookie in the printing and understand that there are a lot more to it to support like screens, curves setting, etc. But my idea in utilizing hardware...
We are small printshop with couple of 1-2 color presses and quality that JP-4800 system can produce (if works and plates available ) is above what we can wish for... ( all full color work goes to 4 over) and I am pretty sure that there are plenty printers that stand close to where ever we are...
I can see that there are few guys in this forum that where involved with JP and few more from G&J, I don't believe that with experience and knowledge that we are all packing nothing mentioned above can be accomplished...
Once again Happy 2010 to all of you, best of health, happiness and luck!

Last edited:
Guys, is it just me or XpressJet XJ2 looks pretty much like IcTp machine from Glunz and Jensen?
We all know that they both are made on Epson's engine but process free plates, baking unit so similar, at least the outside appearance......

Jet-plate to iCtP conversion...

Jet-plate to iCtP conversion...

I am going to order some marking fluid, plates and gum from G&J to see if it works.
What is interesting is if print engine does the trick, I think I can back out roller pressures and disable the pump in developing unit of processor and use second unit to apply gum and second heating oven as dryer / more cure.

Response from Glunz & Jensen.

Response from Glunz & Jensen.

I am going to order some marking fluid, plates and gum from G&J to see if it works.
What is interesting is if print engine does the trick, I think I can back out roller pressures and disable the pump in developing unit of processor and use second unit to apply gum and second heating oven as dryer / more cure.

Hello Unlimited BT

I see your plans, and can not fault your approach. We do not sell items directly, so you can not get the inks or plates directly through us. However... there is at least one or more companies that can assist...

AND, as there are many Jetplate users struggling since Kodak announced the production halt of the Koadak Crafstman plate, I can tell you we have worked through some of our partners to enable them to supply a solution.

In particular, I suggest you consider contacting XpressJet. They provide a conversion kit, and use our plates and fluids, and will assist you in the procedure you seek to engage in. There are others, but..

We have an offical line on the subject though, which is:---

[FONT=&quot]We “Glunz & Jensen” only sell Glunz & Jensen products or updates for Glunz & Jensen products, we are not qualified to advise on any one elses’ products.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With respect to existing Jetplate systems, We offer competitive upgrades... that is we would part exchange a unit for a G&J system but we do not touch existing JetPlate systems, and we are unable to offer an upgrade which may enable a JetPlate system to run our plates... we could not accept any liability for that system nor support such an upgrade, to directly offer such a product would not be inline with the company principles as we would be unable to deliver our renown support on it .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is a company called XpressJet, that buys G&J iCtP consumables under their own label that makes a "I want to be a G&J.. conversion kit" for Jetplate users, however it is not certified by us, we do not warrant it nor do we support it directly.. this is all done through XpressJet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All customisation of the Jetplate systems is down to them, what we do know that the Jetplate fluid normally (as you know from this forum), has some impact on Epson Printheads, and our fluids rely upon a good printhead.. if you go down the Jetplate conversion through a third party company, it is likely that your Jetplate fluid may have impacted the printhead and you may need to replace the head... (Our /G&J fluids have never killed a printhead in any Series 2 (PW2000 / PW2400) customer installation for the last 2 years)... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, the RIP Jetplate uses is not optimal for CTP, it was originated for proofing, and we see many screening artefacts, if you are considering a conversion through a third party to accept our plates and fluids.. you should note that Glunz & Jensen consider the RIP an integral part of getting the optimum quality. Therefore simply converting to our plates and inks will not provide G&J quality... Without the RIP...you will not acheive the same results, it is intergal as to how the ink levels are applied... however... after a third party upgrade..., yes, you will get chemistry free plates, but as said the quality will not be at the same level as with a new G&J system,... having said that - we would beleiveit should be inline with the old Jetplate quality.... but again you will need to ask XpressJet, they may be offering other enhancements.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One thing... The G&J iCtP system uses an integrated Finishing unit to Cure and automatically gum the plates, without it the plates won't work...., we do recommend you check with any third party provider offering a conversion and make sure your are comfortable with what they are offering and the company in question. We understand XpressJet have a solution for this, but there may be other out there that do not. To summarise...just because it uses plates based on G&J iCtP technology, it is not supported by G&J –so you need to be confident with the company you are buying from because it is not a G&J product and we would be unable to assist you with any issues.[/FONT]

That's the official answer...for an unofficial answer, a less public communication :) is probably more appropriate.

Best wishes,

iCtP

Last edited:
I bought an used Jetplate 3000

I bought an used Jetplate 3000

Hello, I bought an used jetplate 3000 and I have an excellent offer to buy a jetplate 7600 system.

I want to know if you make the test with the conversion kit or the fluids from G&J ?

I missed the RIP in the shipping, can you give me a copy of the installation CD?

In the shipping the manuals was missed Do you have a copy of the user for the JP 64 Developer ?

Thanks a lot

[email protected]

Conversion not is necesary

Conversion not is necesary

PLEASE SEE THIS WEBSITE, AND COMENT.

VIM Technologies, VIM JT

Rung leng of 20,000 impressions, is best for medium and small printer, i probe and work.

No need especial INK, and Especial Hardware, This run in my rioby and GTO.

Best Regard

I have a jet plate 7600 system. I can no longer purchase supplies for the unit. Is there any replacement supplies that will work in this unit?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back