Job Security

Cory Smith

007-Job-Security-800.jpg

How about some classic typos that you've made, which have gone to print...

For me, when I had a type house, in a job for a nuclear disarmament group,
instead of the "threat of nuclear war", the "treat of nuclear war" went to print.

Ugh...

we had a pressman a few years ago that was the worlds best spell checker while he was running the press. its too bad he had a drinking and press abuse problem.

We printed a newsletter once where the word "public" was missing a very important letter (I'll let you figure it out.) Of course, spell-check would not catch it because it was still a valid word.

I could spend all day pointing out typos and grammatical errors, and if I held up every job for a problem I feel like we wouldn't get anything printed. There are two schools of thought here...either that A) Its the customer's responsibility to check their typesetting or B) How much more will Client X value me for catching these mistakes.

The way I look at it I am always involved in spell-checking what we typeset in house (fortunately not that much, just business cards usually) because that is where we will genuinely be able to be held responsible. It is ignorant to assume that automated spell-check will catch everything...obviously it doesn't get phone numbers or names...and correctly spelled wrong words are going to fly by it.

If I see something that is very noticeable (such as in the headline) and the job is still in the proofing process I will point it out and let the customer make a judgement call on it. But if its contained within a paragraph I will usually let it go.

ouch! the problem is not just $2500 dollars. but the reprint for free most likely. and the time lost in which you could have run another $2500 job. so it costs you 3 times

Last edited:
Meditation

Meditation

Gentlemen,

A pause for thought ---- a Poem the "Hourglass" Pdf

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Poem - Hourglass196.pdf
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 280
Once worked w/ a guy who stripped up a whole bunch of labels for one very popular iced tea as "Kosher", which weren't.
It's only one letter, right? What's a little "K" in the corner going to truly mean?

- Mac

I once received hand-written copy for an invitation to typeset. The handwriting was not terribly legible.

When Claudia picked up her proof and saw that her name had become Clam Dip, she was not amused.

typos

typos

Many years ago when i was a typesetter, we sent a set of bromides for a large book to Singapore to be printed.

When they made the negs, they painted out all the foreign accents as they thought they were dirty marks.

and it got printed like that. 75,000 times.

We had the "Senior Class Alcoholic After Graduation Party" instead of Non-Alcoholic.
Was proofed by the Superintendent of Schools as well.
Glad we had a signed proof and didn't have to answer the phone calls.
Probably was the best attendance that class had all year.

Calendars

Calendars

Calendars are always fun. We had on error that made it to press where December was still 2009 instead of 2010. That one went through 3 people and made it to press, pressman caught it thankfully.

Another batch did go out with the word Calender on the front cover . . .I'm happy to say that wasn't me who typeset that one.

J

a couple:
1) guy I've worked with for over 15 years looked for weeks for a new job before coming here .... when getting no positive responses he decided to take a critical look at his resume and discovered in the category "education" he had misspelled the heading "education" !

2) have heard several reports of this, but haven't seen it personally .... apparently the Dem candidate for Massachusetts Senate seat in Tuesday's special election ran a state-wide TV spot recently during her campaign and had misspelled "Massachusetts" !

j

Another batch did go out with the word Calender on the front cover . . .I'm happy to say that wasn't me who typeset that one.

J

Ha! Ha! I have made the mistake and I was the one typesetting! The customer called me up several weeks after delivery and asked how to spell "calendar". I said, "c-a-l-e-n-d-e-r". I was pretty embarrassed and offered to redo the job. She said don't worry, all her family members were getting a kick out of the grammatical error!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back