Junk densitometer sent with DI?

banjoman

I gotta tell ya, this Densitometer that they sent with the 34DI is a piece of CRAP or I got a lemon! I have tried calibrating, new batteries and still it is so inconsistant. I can read a color and then the one beside it will be 20 points different then I read it again and it changes 20 points. I have put it over a color bar and not moved it then push it back down and get 3 or 4 different readings. Now my old densitometer reads consistant on the same sheet.. Anyone else have this problem. Another thing I noticed is I can read the calibration sheet that came with the densitometer and it read true everytime or within 1 number so it's like it doesn't like ink on paper and it does it on coated, uncoated, doesn't matter. I have read the instructions, calibrated it, I have went through all the steps by reading the paper first then setting it for density, auto mode, it's all the same. It is the Densieye made by xrite. I dropped it Monday and thought I broke it but no such luck, I'm just using my old Iharra.

banjoman in NC

Re: Junk densitometer sent with DI?

Was this a new machine or a demo machine you purchased? Seems like you are having many problems with this piece of equipment.

OG

Brand new. I don't think it's bad at all. I have had some issues but probably not any more than any other new machine. I get to work at 7:45 and by 9:00 I'm starting my second 3,000 run. That is fast considering it's up to color and dry in 30 minutes and no effort getting it stripped or hanging plates or any of that. I don't miss the old way of stripping and burning plates and getting register and ink water balance. I have switched back to my old densitometer though and it is working fine. I also made some adjustments on the ink fountains that have helped alot and I haven't had any service since it was new but I'm going to get a guy in next month to go over the machine and make any adjustments that it might need plus answer some ink curve issues.

banjoman in NC

Roger,

It is great you keep the board informed on your progress with your new DI34. Once it is out of warranty will you consider a service contract? And if so what’s the cost per year? Have you priced a new set of rollers for that machine?

Have you considered purchasing alternative service and or supplies, such as plates? Would you prefer a second and third choice to purchase your supplies,rollers and service from?

Thanks
OG

I'm not sure, it is a take it as it comes deal for me. I understand that they want you to buy all the supplies from them and there is another manufacturer of plates and so on but i'm realy having good luck with what I'm using now and unless the price goes way up I'm not going to switch because someone is a few dollars cheaper. I think at about $10 per plate that that is still a good deal considering the speed of it and all the other things that I don't need to print color like an imagesetter and processor and plate burner and processor and all the supplies and upkeep. I can print a 2,500 2 sided brochure in a little over an hour. I could barely even get it ready that fast before. So far I'm very satisfied with this machine. I may post later when I have changed out some rollers or whatever how expensive it is and let everyone know the deal.

banjoman

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back