Just starting out

I am new to this forum, I have been a graphic designer with a large defense contractor for 10 years. I have also been in charge of the print department for about 7 of those years. I am currently thinking about starting a small print service and would appreciate any info on equipment needs. My goal is to take over an empty office suite in a large business office complex. I could supply the tenants with color or B&W copies, brochures, fliers, posters and banners, business cards, binding etc and have larger runs or offset work sent out. At my last position we had a docucolor 2400, xerox 5050, drill press, Epson sylus pro 9600, large paper cutter, and GBC punch/Binder which seemed very satisfactory. What other equipment should I invest in?

My #1 bit of advice would be to make sure that you have a written business plan. Anything is better than nothing and they are worth their weight in gold.

On the equipment: buy the absolute minimum you can to start off with, sub out everything you can until you build up the business. When I owned a copy shop, a pouch laminator (up to A2) size paid for itself very quickly and provided a useful local service.

I hope that helps a little bit. I left the "big corporate" world myself quite a few years ago and started my own small business. The first one was an expensive learning experience, the second actually makes money, and is not so small anymore :)

Ifelton: In your experience, does subbing out everything you can provide you with enough profit margin and control (turn around and quality) to give you a competitive foothold?

To the original question: I like the idea of being in a business complex location as it might allow you to have some weekends off (when you are not tending to the details of running the business.)

Hi John....Ifelton definitely brought up the important things. Dont overload yourself with equipment to start. You probably wont need a drill press, and in that case may not even need a Paper cutter. If I was you, Get yourself a decent Color Copier, and maybe a low end Black and white copier, then outsource everything else. You'd be surprised how many print shops out there specialize in doing work for the trade. Any idea what you be looking to spend on a copier, this way we can let you know what you may be able to get for your money.

I am looking at different options for printers. I would love to have the docucolor 2400, found that to be a very good printer, but I would assume the lease price would be very expensive. I don't want to be spending more a month on a lease than I will make in a month. Looked online at the DocuColor 242, but will need to get a quote for a lease and to find out if it is expandable (finisher ect.). Because I am not sure what the amount of printing I should expect, I would hope to find good slightly used printers and equipment to start, upgrade if and when the business grows. Any recommendations or ideas about lease pricing or equipment would be appreciated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back