Kodak Approval Color Order

Tommyjt

What is the proper color laydown order for the Kodak Approval and how can I change it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not an expert on the Approval...so this is probably a case of the blind leading the blind. With luck an expert will reply! I think that generally, the lay down order is what is desired by the person generating the proof. This is usually the same order as the print run. Such as KCMY. An exception would be when laminating the intermediate to a clear substrate, where the lay down would be reversed.

Is your approval driven by the old AIT controller or is it being driven by Kodak Proofing Software for Approval? If KPS, I think that lay down order is found in the Media Configuration Editor.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, again you really need to talk to an experienced user or your local Kodak technical support.

Stephen Marsh

The order should reflect your desired results. The only colors that have a significant impact in sequence in a Kodak Approval or Fuji FinalProof are opaques like Metallic and White. The transparent donors do not behave like flexo/litho inks which makes proof : press sequence almost completely irrelevant for proofs like this.

That said, there is no reason not to use KCMY, YCMK, or CMYK sequence(s) to match your press(es). That will "sort of" give you the extra tiny bit of accuracy. Note that presses will many times run different sequences depending on UV vs. Conventional and the design/layout.

if you are using KPS, the color laydown order can be edited at AMCM (Approval Media Configuration Manager). There you can also edit the screening and angle for each color.

Ideally, you must acquire the laydown order,screening and angles from press to get the desired results. Normally, silver and other metallic colors are imaged first.

Regards,
Lone Approval Support for South East Asia

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back