Konica 1050 Coarse Halftones

pingsake

I just installed a used Konica 1050 to keep up with our BW work. The screens are coming out very coarse compared with the same BW output from my Docucolor 250. This machine has no rip. Would a fiery fix this situation or is this the way they all print.

A color device like the 250 will produce better halftones than the b/w only 1050. Of course, they probably cost 3x as much per page, but will look better. When we need high-resolution screens on a large b/w job we send out to a Kodak Digimaster or Xerox Nuvera - they both do nice jobs.

I just installed a used Konica 1050 to keep up with our BW work. The screens are coming out very coarse compared with the same BW output from my Docucolor 250. This machine has no rip. Would a fiery fix this situation or is this the way they all print.

Nope, probably the only time the 2400x2400 argument has any credence. The machine has an internal RIP which is actually pretty good. You can get a Micropress for this which allows you to change dot size/shape but I would say this will only improve pictorial images.

Not sure if a Fiery will fix it, but it will definetely be different. Probably better for most eyes.

Check for a dithering setting in the print driver or in the tool settings. I have no real clue on a KM box but on the Ricoh I have these will have effects on the screens.

The 1050 is available with both PS and PCL drivers. Make sure that you are using the PS driver. Halftones produced using the PCL driver can look very coarse.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back