Konica C6501 and polyester/plastic paper

lexcreate

Question to Anyone:

Do you know of any plastic paper that will print successfully through a KM C6501 that isn't TYVEK? Tyvek prints very well on it, but I tried Polyart and the sheet melted in the fuser!There isn't a way I can lower the temp. of the fuser either. Any suggestions, hints or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

I assume this is waterproof, which is important for some of the books we publish since they go on boats and are handled by fishermen.

I've been able to print nicely on Teslin 10,12 and14 mil. Never got beyond running tests though.

I'm from Australia so i don't know some of the products you have been discussing here, but i have had success with a fully synthetic stock but i don't know what it is called...

Yes it did melt to the fuser a few times, but i worked out that this is only happens because the heat was causing so much curl on the paper it would jam in the finishing unit, and the next sheet in line would sit too long on the fuser and melt.... it wouldn't melt as it went through normally, only if it was allowed to sit there because of a jam..

It took me a while to work this out as i thought the machine was jamming because of the melting, but it was the other way around...

Anyway, the way we got around it was just to print 1 sheet at a time and make sure it was out before sending the next one... It was only a small job...

We could have probably just removed the finishing unit as well if you are keen...

Hope this helps...

Also regarding the fusing temperature... Run as low a gsm as you can (to get the sheet past the fuser as quickly as possible) and i think uncoated offset setting gives you the lowest fusing temperature ???

we trialed a few sheets of Robuskin Teslin and Polyart but the job didnt go ahead so I cant say if on a full run if these would work. IE heat build up and then a crash??? I am still new to digital so trail and error are what we do best... but at the cost of synthetic stock less of the error part would save a heap of money. Keen to see more... We run a C500 Konica so a slightly older vesion machine... what we got through looked great though. I think the Teslin?? was best, but like I said not by much and we never trialed a full run...

MGI DP 60 and KM c6501 has the same Engine. You can print Teslin, PVC, Polycarbonate and Polyester substrate with high vicat material on KM c 6501.
You can also adjust the second transfer roller setting to LOW.
MGI DP 60 has a fuser controller board, rest all is same.

Last edited:
I know of several Oce CS650/665 (same as KM 65-pager) customers that run PPG's Teslin successfully in decent volume - over 100,000 sheets of 12x18 per month in either 10 or 12 point; I forget which. Not using fuser oil helps tremendously - one of these customers couldn't run the same job on their iGen. Also key was front-to-back registration - which was vital because their app was duplexed medical ID cards in N-up format.

Thermanent Digital Polyester from Nekoosa Coated Products runs the best on toner based machines.

There is a way of reducing the fuser heat on a KM C6501, however this will still not be enough to run Tyvek paper.

I would also like to point out that you can indeed adjust the fuser temps for a specific paper/tray. On the machine there under paper (where you would change GSM settings)
You can change the printing temp of the upper/lower fusing rollers under Process Adjustment.

Nekoosa Thermanent gives good results

Nekoosa Thermanent gives good results

RKS gives good info, I have also used Nekoosa. The paper is in their coated line called Thermanent Digital Polyester. It's available in 8 MIL and 11 MIL, possibly more. I've used it on my C1 and also prints beautifully on my KM 6501 PRO. Don't try the Polyart, it cannot hold up to the temperature through the fuser- it will jam and turn into something resembling a big piece of popcorn! very ugly. You can probably get samples direct from Nekoosa site. I get mine through JC Paper here in Central CA, I can forward my salesrep's cell # to you if you want it.

Erik

My Hop-Syn XT is approved and loved by printers that carry the C6501. This may be the only toner-based model in which it works thus far. Please contact me if you would like some sample material to test out.
Fyi, this material is polypropylene-based white matte substrate that is one of the most durable materials in the market today.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back