Konica Minolta 2250 Feedback

gregbatch

Lease ending soon on our Xerox. Looking for a better machine. We do mainly overprint of variable data.

@gregbatch , you probably know by now that I used to sell KM production gear. I sold several of the 2250's, mostly to school districts and county in-plants. The 2250 is just two 1250 engines paired together with a bridge so each engine only prints 1 side. If you run 1 sided prints, it's only running at 125ppm, two sided prints are 250ipm (impressions per minute)...therefore, it's only a worthwhile investment if most of your prints are double sided.
The 1250 series was quite reliable - we had them at my current job (county inplant) for about 6 years before upgrading to the 6136's. The 1250's (and 2250) came out roughly 8-10 years ago, and were replaced by the 6136 series about 3-4 years ago, so I suspect they will eventually make a dual engine out of the 6136's.
Feedback from the customers I sold it to was mostly positive. The first account I ever sold one too wished they had opted for more paper drawers because it is fast and the operators were having to refill quite often. You can add up to 3 vacuum-feed paper decks with 3 drawers each (total of 11 drawers since there are 2 friction feed drawers under the first engine). You can program the job to automatically switch to the next full drawer and you can load while it's running. Customers who switched from Xerox to KM usually note the reliability of the vacuum feed since you don't have the feed tires that wear out or slip over time.
Another account told me they wished they got two 1250's instead of a 2250 because they would get the same performance, but have redundancy if one went down. I personally lean this way as well.
Initially the 2250's were only sold with the KM controller, but now they offer an optional Fiery controller.
What type/size of stock are you running? Will you need any finishing?

Last edited:
The 1250's (and 2250) came out roughly 8-10 years ago, and were replaced by the 6136 series about 3-4 years ago, so I suspect they will eventually make a dual engine out of the 6136's.
@jwheeler Great minds... was having the same conversation with our engineer yesterday, we dubbed it the 6272 :)

I tend to agree with above that I think for most users, two single engine units would be better than one dual engine unit, but I have no direct experience with the 2250.

@gregbatch , you probably know by now that I used to sell KM production gear. I sold several of the 2250's, mostly to school districts and county in-plants. The 2250 is just two 1250 engines paired together with a bridge so each engine only prints 1 side. If you run 1 sided prints, it's only running at 125ppm, two sided prints are 250ipm (impressions per minute)...therefore, it's only a worthwhile investment if most of your prints are double sided.
The 1250 series was quite reliable - we had them at my current job (county inplant) for about 6 years before upgrading to the 6136's. The 1250's (and 2250) came out roughly 8-10 years ago, and were replaced by the 6136 series about 3-4 years ago, so I suspect they will eventually make a dual engine out of the 6136's.
Feedback from the customers I sold it to was mostly positive. The first account I ever sold one too wished they had opted for more paper drawers because it is fast and the operators were having to refill quite often. You can add up to 3 vacuum-feed paper decks with 3 drawers each (total of 11 drawers since there are 2 friction feed drawers under the first engine). You can program the job to automatically switch to the next full drawer and you can load while it's running. Customers who switched from Xerox to KM usually note the reliability of the vacuum feed since you don't have the feed tires that wear out or slip over time.
Another account told me they wished they got two 1250's instead of a 2250 because they would get the same performance, but have redundancy if one went down. I personally lean this way as well.
Initially the 2250's were only sold with the KM controller, but now they offer an optional Fiery controller.
What type/size of stock are you running? Will you need any finishing?
We do quite a lot of 2 sided work, which is why I am looking in that direction. We are a mail shop and we do mostly overprinting with variable throughout. Space is another consideration. I don't have room to fit 2 machines. I have space for 1 color and 1 BW. I can handle the extra length, but not 2 full machines end to end. Also, as stacks come off the machine they go directly to the folder, so splitting runs between 2 machines would drive them crazy keeping everything in sequence. I was also looking at the Titan, but understand that because of its fusing method it isn't well suited for overprinting. We mainly want a stacker unit. Finishing is offline, EXCEPT it would be nice to trifold up to 5 sheets like our c6000.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back