Konica Minolta 950

GTO JOE

Looking for some feedback on this model...I was told it runs glossy paper? How does the image appear?

Thanks

Looking for some feedback on this model...I was told it runs glossy paper? How does the image appear?

Thanks

I have one of these in my demo room and not only is the quality/density improved geatly, the general "usage" has geatly improved.
It has been totally redisgned to match the 1050 and give the user quite a bit more flexiability.
The 920 has always been able to run coated stock and card stock up to 256gsm.

The driver seems to support mixed banks of tabs. So you can run a 5-bank tab job in the same document as an 8-bank.
As usual the driver allows tabs to be creadted through the properties.
It also comes with a Utility that allows the user to create and apply custom density curves, similar to a feature in the MicroPress.

The user improvements are excellent and the quality is amazing.

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback......I currently have the Pro 920 and we are looking at the
PRO 950 now....The coated paper issue refers to the 950. The 920 runs the coated but tends to put dots on each sheet.....

We compared this with a Xerox 41xx and found that for photographs/half tones the 950 was nowhere near the as good as the Xerox. In fact the first batch of samples off of a 41xx were pretty poor as well, but we invited both manufacturers to resubmit samples after we carefully explained our requirements again. Xerox changed the screening type and we were happy with the results, but the KM 950 reprints were the same as the first batch and we were told that was "as good as it gets".

So we're waiting on the installation of a 4127 shortly (yes, I know that's a bit more expensive than a 950, but they're roughly the same "class" of machine).

Not an issue if you're just putting down text, but worth checking out if you need reasonable half tone screens.

Quote...but we invited both manufacturers to resubmit samples after we carefully explained our requirements again. Xerox changed the screening type and we were happy with the results, but the KM 950 reprints were the same as the first batch and we were told that was "as good as it gets".

This totally annoys me.....I also knew more about their machine than the demo guys in the showroom, the salesman and the trainer who came and was baffled at my questions....

I have my Pro 920 making the most awesome halftones. Nobody knew how to make this happen. We experimented with some of the Postscript options and were quite surprised at the results. My photos remind me of a real halftone from my printing process on the press.

I need to know if the 950 can gloss the image on glossy paper stock.

Salesmen need to know how to sell to printers who may want to phase out some of their offset work and move it over to a high quality digital process and do it economically. Just my 2 cents...

Joe

Quote...but we invited both manufacturers to resubmit samples after we carefully explained our requirements again. Xerox changed the screening type and we were happy with the results, but the KM 950 reprints were the same as the first batch and we were told that was "as good as it gets".

This totally annoys me.....I also knew more about their machine than the demo guys in the showroom, the salesman and the trainer who came and was baffled at my questions....

I have my Pro 920 making the most awesome halftones. Nobody knew how to make this happen. We experimented with some of the Postscript options and were quite surprised at the results. My photos remind me of a real halftone from my printing process on the press.

I need to know if the 950 can gloss the image on glossy paper stock.

Salesmen need to know how to sell to printers who may want to phase out some of their offset work and move it over to a high quality digital process and do it economically. Just my 2 cents...

Joe

Well Done Joe,

In defense of the KM Rep. the USERS are the ones that really know how to run any output device. But alos the rep SHOULD have come back with a better output. Most likely due to inexperience. The newer image quality options on the 950 are far above the 920.

Seeing as you already have a 920, let me tell you this point. The LCT Tray can be adjusted by the USER and not only by a Tech with a screwdriver. The gradtion control utility is AMAZING and acks just like adjusting colour on a Fiery, which every knows is amazing.

As far as getting that infamous "glossy look"... Due to the fact that our toner is manufactured on a different principle, bieng that is is created at a smaller, more uniform shape it layes down less toner and gives a better detail. We do not "splatter" our toner on, thus having to apply morre effort for the fusing and with the extra amount of toner, you get that glossy look.
When your Reps start to see the near press quality they can offer at digital pricing the glossy requirement starts to become "less important".
I train/support MANY EX-XEROX users and that is one of the first comments/complaints. Always after they have had the new KM running and producing work for their customers, the glossy issue is no longer an issue. They type of work they are getting from the regualr customer has changed to reflect the change/step-up in quality.

By using the Tonal adjustment utility you will be able to control the gaumet of your image and will be able to increase that glossy look to some degree.

Glossy look?

Glossy look?

Kevin,

Thanks pal....You speak of the tonal adjustment. Where will I find this control....I do many souvenir journals....some are all black and they have many photographs. I print them on the KM 6500 and or my Canon 5000 and the gloss is perfect. I also use Dot 2 in the screening profile (KM 6500) for many of them. My challenge is the speed...sometimes my deadlines are tight and I always worry of a breakdown midway through. I want to utilize the Pro 959 for this purpose. I will require the gloss. How much faster is the 950 on 11 X 17 duplexing than the 6500?

As far as getting that infamous "glossy look"...

I don't understand this allergic reaction to anything glossy.

I like the matt output and I have two small K-M bizhubs, a C352P and a C451 that give just that look but they also both have a "Glossy Mode" (though it isn't that glossy) so even K-M can't be thinking that glossy is all bad. On the other hand I have a Xerox DC2060 and it is quite glossy and many of my clients are absolutely delighted with that and many even compare it to a spot UV varnished finish, i.e. something rather exclusive. I haven't had a client reject anything from the DC2060 yet because of the "glossy look" (or anything else for that matter).

Ideally I would have a machine with variable gloss profiles because there is a market for glossy as well as for matt.

Ideally I would have a machine with variable gloss profiles because there is a market for glossy as well as for matt.

The Xerox AP versions have a Variable Gloss Profile Kit for this. Look for the Xerox DocuColor 5000AP, 7000AP, 8000AP

I'm sure you can get a good trade-in value out of your old DocuColor 2060

What's the ballpark price range for the 950? How much is the monthly lease cost and click charge? I have been looking at this machine as well but have not contacted my KM rep yet.

I received my samples today......not 100% sold at the moment. The toner seems to concentrate in a funny pattern in the solids..The halftones were mediocre at best. I'm not sure if the postscript print que has some settings that the salesmen aren"t privy to. I will be testing this machine as soon as I can.

Joe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back