Laser Die Cutting ¿Really works?

Braulio.m

I have seen, during almost ten years, that exist laser die cutting for labels printting.

Any time I've asked for it as a finishing system the answer is always the same "It's still in investment and really doesn't works at all because burns the papel, etc."

Is this true or not? Is it possible to have High speed with it (45-60 mts x minute)?

Thanks

It certainly has potential

It certainly has potential

I have seen, during almost ten years, that exist laser die cutting for labels printting.

Any time I've asked for it as a finishing system the answer is always the same "It's still in investment and really doesn't works at all because burns the papel, etc."

Is this true or not? Is it possible to have High speed with it (45-60 mts x minute)?

Thanks

The key is to qualify your material -- lasers are light/heat sources and they do burn. They will melt pe's, burn pvc and some paper stocks. When they cut, they can remove the ink (full bleed) around the cut -- which is an effect that some customers do not like.
The upside -- they can be very fast, depending on the scanner and the power of the laser and there is virtually no limit on the die shape. Laser cutting speed can also be determined by the amount of die line in the label or converting job. The more inches of die line, the longer it takes to cut a job.
In the end -- you can eliminate die cost in quoting jobs and die storage. Protoyping is an advantage and short runs are great as well. The lasers do not take a lot of energy to run and just about anyone can be trained to run them. By adjusting power, you can score, kiss cut or run full cuts.
Look for reputable vendor; lasers are expensive if they go down.
Good Luck,

A CNC cutting table or sheet/reel “feed cutter” often found in wide format work is generally the norm for short run or prototyping (in some cases a print and cut inkjet too).

Then there is the Highcon Euclid solution.

To clarify, are you talking about cutting sheeted labels, or labels on a roll (I believe sheets)?

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back