Lay flat saddle stitched books

hondarr9

Does anyone know who makes the device that you put saddle stitched books into after they are assembled that somehow makes them lay perfectly flat? I was at a demo for a Duplo bookletmeker a few years ago and was shown this device. I thought it was made by Duplo but there is nothing about it on their website. It was an off-line device. We are making some books that will go through the mail and the way they are I think the post office will have a problem with them. Has anyone else seen or heard of this device? Thanks.

Does anyone know who makes the device that you put saddle stitched books into after they are assembled that somehow makes them lay perfectly flat? I was at a demo for a Duplo bookletmeker a few years ago and was shown this device. I thought it was made by Duplo but there is nothing about it on their website. It was an off-line device. We are making some books that will go through the mail and the way they are I think the post office will have a problem with them. Has anyone else seen or heard of this device? Thanks.

Most of the equipment we have seen to do "lay-flat" puts a box score on the spine, so it ends up laying more like a perfect bound product than a saddle stitch. We have not ever seen a stand alone machine to do it offline / after the fact. Did you maybe see one of their bookletmakers that performed the box score on the spine inline?

Must just be running through pressure rolls of some sort - never have seen one of those. What's your quantity?

Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about. markhunt, are you from Standard, Horizon? We have a SPF 20. I take it there is no inline solution for our machine?

Yes, I'm with Standard and we represent Horizon throughout NA.

I've been told this "squareback" module can be rolled-up to an SPF-20, but I've not seen it done. I recommend contacting your local Standard dealer, who may have the answer or he can escalate the question through his sales manager. Or, reply privately with contact particulars and location and we'll have someone contact you.

Thanks,

Mark
[email protected] | www.standardfinishing.com | Mark Hunt (ThinkFinishing) on Twitter

binders | folders | saddlestitchers | collators | cutters | pre/post | inserters

I can confirm that the unit (the Automatic SpineMaster) is manufactured by Watkiss. You can see details on our website www.watkiss.com.

I can also confirm that the Automatic SpineMaster can be connected to a Horizon SPF20, with a full communications interface. We have a number of customers already using this.

Mark - if you want to contact Paul Attew, we can discuss supply.

Regards,
Jo Watkiss

Thanks Markhunt and JoWatkiss. JoWatkiss I'm sure you would rather not discuss price on here, but before I get ownership involved, can you give me a ballpark MSRP? Under $5000usd? or over?

We actually have a spine master in line behind our iGen and Bourg booklet maker. They're fantastic! It can also roll away from the BDFx so we can hand feed books from our offline horizon collator/booklet maker if necessary. They're simple to use and almost bullet proof - highly recommended!

We have a Nagel. It works quite well. It can be used inline or offline. They cost about 9,000 new. I hear Watkiss is the best. Océ uses them for add-ons.

The machine you are refering to is called Edge squaring Press. It is a Hydraulic unit and the best manufacturer in India is Joy Dzine. Contact Mr. Mankoo on his mobile at +91-9810060814.

The device called squire fold. It also sold by PLOCKMATIC. You can check web site of Sydney R. Stone. PrintFinishing.com - Sydney Stone. Now Duplo has squire fold as well and it can work offline and online.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back