Learning offset

postnetnc133

I own and run a digital quick print shop. I am intrigued and interested to learn more about offset and am thinking of picking up a 1 maybe 2 color press. I understand the general process. I get some work for it. Dont have the space or money for a 4 color press maybe in time but for now I would like to research about getting a 1-2 color press but have NO experience or knowledge on how to run one or even repair one.

Any advice on where to start or what is a good beginners press and what is needed? Or maybe advice to stay clear, :) haha

Run!!!!!
Seriously I think that this late in the offset game it is not a trade for the new employee.
The offset trade has been decimated by the internet, & print on demand digital.
This is not to say it is dead so to speak but the remaining few who have survived are usually shops with 20+ years experience with the knowledge to adapt & survive.

The remaining few tend to be the best of the best....

Last edited:
Funny hahaha. Fortunate for me I am established with digital quick printing. I get calls for jobs that I have to farm out because either we can print or the job is too large and my click cost takes me out of the running. I am not looking to switch to offset but maybe have the ability to do 1-2 color jobs. My main focus will always be digital printing and growing this part of the business and taking my shop to the next level. Maybe instead of offset I need to invest in a well rounded laser printer that can do heavier stocks and envelopes etc etc.

In all seriousness buy a used 2/c like you planned.
the digital thing is ok but as technology creeps in to the main stream by getting more affordable everyone will have a shiny new laser.
The thing that could put you ahead of the curve could be that small true offset press.

Why not hire someone with experience? I'm sure you could find someone who wants to moonlight even if its just temporary to get you up and running.

Only issue with hiring someone is there is not enough work. I guess i could make an offer for someone to moonlight to come in run a job or two, after hours when needed, good idea.

Why not hire someone with experience? I'm sure you could find someone who wants to moonlight even if its just temporary to get you up and running.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. Be careful with this. Every company has some trade secret no matter how small that helps them maintain their position in the marketplace. And with the cut throat blades flying in this business all is fair game. Keep this in mind when you bring a moonlighter in to help you and since people love to talk about what you have going on in your 4 walls will be a conversation piece at one point. And someone moonlighing for you may not even realize they are talking too much. The ideal situation is trying to find a retired person out of the pressroom to teach you and even run it for you. A little networking may reveal the ideal candidate. But I would not want any parts of a offset press larger than a 20" format. The market is a mess and everyone is beating themselves up trying to get what crumbs they can. I think a small press would be a great fit for you. Business cards, letterheads, and envelopes.

Be sure to calculate the additional support cost of offset. Such as how do you plan to produce plates? Do you plan on mixing inks or purchasing them premixed? Remember all the chemistry for fountain solution and wash-up. If you have not done any offset before it may take you quite some time to receive a return on investment.
With so much printing being done in shorter runs digitally I think with more time you may find the need to do the one or two color longer runs more economical to farm out.

Just some thoughts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back