Learning resources needed

InSamsara

Hello all... I know this has been a question asked before, I'm just looking for more info without resurrecting and old thread.

I'm interested in learning more about prepress. I have a strong design background and run a print department at a small graphic design/computer animation school. We use HP designjet 130's with ImagePrint RIP. I'd like to learn about prepress so I can move onto print shops and design houses. I know it's a broad question... but where to start? I know (think) that printing to offset press and inkjets are completely different, so where should I best start? I have a good understanding about color management related to inkjet printing, a strong knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator and a working knowledge of Indesign.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

I would think that you have enough experience already for an entry level position. I know a studio manager (similar to what you do now) that made the leap.

Good luck!

There are two books that would be helpful: Real World Print Production, and The Adobe Official Print Publishing Guide. Additionally, the GATF has a program for designers about the printing process. It's called Mission:possible. Go to GAIN.net and poke around.
Those resources teach designers more about the printing process, especially commercial offset. Go to some local printer and ask if you can intern. Many community colleges have courses today, as well. Finally, get a Ouija board and practice devining what the hell the customer wants, you'll have a job for life!

I would recommend looking into some of the workshops that Clemson University puts on. I've attended three of the available workshops and found them all valuable. The classes I attended were geared more toward flexo, but they have a wide variety. Check out Clemson's website, they may have some workshops that would benefit you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back