line screen indicator

BEL

Does anyone know where I can buy a mylar screen angle indicator to place over previous printed sheets to make sure we match the customers look. 150, 133 175 or 200. Or is there a better way?

Thank you in advance

Does anyone know where I can buy a mylar screen angle indicator to place over previous printed sheets to make sure we match the customers look. 150, 133 175 or 200. Or is there a better way?

Thank you in advance

I have one I can send you. Contact me off line at pritchardgordon (@) gmail (dot) com with the address you want it shipped to so I can work out the postage and handling costs.

best, gordon p

My print blog here: Quality In Print
Current topic: The Wayback View – Typesetting, 1946 - video post

Do you have a film setter?

Do you have a film setter?

Thank you in advance

If you have a film setter - image this. I wrote a combo angle/lpi-finder too, but can't seem to find the file, sorry! (Writing post-script by hand used to be fun...)

Edit - it's just a standard (hand-written) EPS file, so if you want to customize it by dropping it into Illustrator/InDesign/etc. and adding your company logos or whatever, please feel free.

Edit 2 - If you open up the EPS in a text editor, at the very bottom you can actually change the size of the reader, which line-screen markings you want to show, and other features pretty easily. Just remember to change the bounding box in the header to match the size (in points) - but it's all documented in the file. It's meant to be easily configurable... at least "easy" in terms of postscript. :)

Kevin.

Attachments

• ScreenFinder-3.EPS.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Mylar Screen Reader

Mylar Screen Reader

We normally get our screen readers from A.I. Friedman in New York City, or Port Chester, NY.

They can be obtained from almost any graphic arts dealer (although they may be in short supply): H.A. Metzger may have them (Jersey City, NJ).

Or check with a major Art Supply Store such as Dick Blick.

How to find a screen determiner...

How to find a screen determiner...

Do a Google search on "screen determiner"

line screen indicator

You don't actually even need a line screen indicator, to do what you want to do. All you need is some old film separations of the screen rulings you want to test for. If you have a filmsetter you can make up some screen tints at the various screen rulings to do the job.
When you place a film separation over the printed job, and then rotate it, you'll see a moiré pattern that gets larger (perhaps dissappears when the film registers with printed dot pattern exactly) and then gets smaller again. It will do this for every colour, so you'll see some colour shift depending on which angle it is most closely matching. If you cannot get the pattern to "moiré-out" then just try another screen ruling. The one that gives the largest pattern will be the one closest to the screen ruling printed.
Paper stretch/shrink/distortion will be one reason why even the actual separation printed may not "moiré-out" perfectly. Most imagesetter/RIP combinations also don't output all colours on exactly the same ruling; you'll probably find cyan and magenta the best to test for, as black and yellow could be finer or coarser than the nominal ruling (cyan and magenta are also easier to see).
That's an old photolithographer's tip.
regards,
Barry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back