Line Screens on Mitsubishi DPX FM vs AM

jotterpinky

We are currently in the process of purchasing a 2 up 4 color press and are looking for new imaging equipment. The sales monkeys are pushing a Mitsubishi DPX system (used, current model with new RIP). We are looking very seriously at a Ryobi 524GE but my feeling is that the Mitsubishi is not necessarily an upgrade in quality that we would be wanting from a new press. My main concern is the fact that it only outputs 175 line screens on poly plates and I think we need to either stay at 200 lpi or better which is what we currently produce. We've seen output off the same imagesetter and press combination and it looks good but not quite as smooth as I'd like. I'm hoping there is some sort of compromise I might be able to make on the line screen to get it to look cleaner such as outputting plates with a 30-40 micron FM screen. Is this imagesetter capable of this? The salesman is telling me there is no need to do this and that running an FM line screen is too hard to maintain. He seems to be dancing around the issue so I want someone with experience to chime in here and say whether it's possible or not and if so how much trouble we might have, given that we've never done FM screens in the past.

That being said is an FM screen even going to give us smoother output or am I dreaming?

Finally if there is no way of getting this imagesetter to produce better than 175 lpi work, is there another option on the market (poly plates, 2-up format) that produces better quality?

Dpx

Dpx

175 lpi is the limit of the polyester...not the DPX...you can push 200 lpi if everything is perfect...the DPX is a great CTP...Polyester is not as good as metal CTP but definately better than film to plate...

Now stochastic screening is more of a problem because all the dots will need to be the size of a 2% dot which is too course...

Last edited:
Hi JP,

The Ryobi presses are very good (as are many other brands). Are you getting a new one?

The DPX is very good, but is restricted by the polyester plate. This struggles to hold a 2x2 20 micron hilite dot at 2540 dpi. If everything is setup perfectly, then on a good day you might be able to, but I'd not like to try that. The plate also struggles to hold open a 3x3 30 micron shadow dot at 2540 dpi, depending on the gain you have on your press.

An uncalibrated 2x2 20 micron dot pretty much corresponds to a 2% of a 175 lpi screen at 2540 and a 3x3 30 micron dot to a 4%. That means you're really only getting an uncalibrated range of 3-96%. So really a 175 is the highest you'd want to go. I'd not really want to try 200 lpi on a DPX.

if you go to metal violet plates with the best plates, you can hold a 2x2 hilite dot and a 3x3 (or even 2x2) shadow dot. If you go to most thermal plates, you can hold a 2x2 hilite dot and most will hold a 2x2 shadow dot.

What Terry says about stochastic screening is not 100% correct.

For a stochastic screen to work you need to have a min dot size of 3x3 pixels, 30 microns at 2540 dpi on the DPX (or it drops dots), which means more like a 4% tint. It is a little large, but of course that assumes you have square dots...

The quality you also get depends on how well you control gain (which no FM screen does) and the dot size - it's not how big it is that matters, but what you do with it that counts...

I don't know if you saw the Press Release that went out last week about Auraia-II - AURAIA II ACHIEVES HOLY GRAIL OF STOCHASTIC SCREENING ... - our DM (Digitally Modulated) screen, which is quite different from an FM screen.

With this we have perfected stochastic screening. If you can hold a 2x2 20 micron dot at 2400/2540 dpi, we can generate prints that have no noise in them whatsoever, with detail of circa 400-500 lpi. This works on both violet and thermal devices. Nothing else comes close, especially on violet. In fact flat tints with Auraia-II are so smooth, they are smoother than conventional screening and much smoother than high lpi (250+) conventional screens.

The other key thing about Auraia-II is that it has none of the drawbacks of FM screens. Yes Auraia has more gain than conventional screening, but about half that of FM screens - in one test we did Staccato gained by about 20% at 50%, whereas Auraia only gained by about 10% (Stacatto was also very noisy and Auraia was very smooth, but that's another discussion).

However, that's no good for the DPX, which needs a larger min dot. For this we have a Medium Quality (MQ) screen that uses a min dot of 3x3, 30 microns at 2540 dpi and this looks pretty good, but you could debate with me if it's smooth enough. That's not good enough for me.

So to perfect this we've therefore developed three special screens which use a dot size 'smaller' than a 3x3, but 'larger' than a 2x2 (e.g. 2x5 / 5x2, 2x4, 4x2, 2x3, 3x2, ...). We are currently testing this at a printer and results so far are very positive - they've been using it for a couple of weeks now without any problems. We're planning to run this for a little longer (another month) and will then put it on general release. If anyone else wants to try it though, by all means contact me.

And yes this also generates image quality of around 400-500 lpi. On a DPX - yup, for real.

So, I have to say that yes there is no way of using an FM screen to get what you want, but with Auraia-II, there is a DM screen that will.

PS If anyone doesn't believe me, contact me off-line and I can send you lots of samples which prove it. Or ask Gordon Prichard or Andy Tribute who have seen some.

Best Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
.:Hamillroad Software | Products | Auraia:.
.:Hamillroad Software | Products | Lightning TIFF:.
.:Hamillroad Software | Products | FirstPROOF:.
.:Hamillroad Software | Welcome:.

Last edited:
DPX stochastic screening

DPX stochastic screening

Far be it for me to debate Andy....a known expert in this industry....

.......however we have set up stochastic screening on a DPX before and had to use the course setting which is a "big dot" and too grainy to use.....so I think I was 99% correct.....

We offer Violet CTPs and Thermal CTPs as well....new or used with warranties etc. if you are in the West Coast somewhere we could help and offer you a solution for around the same price of the DPX....

Hi Trerry,

however we have set up stochastic screening on a DPX before and had to use the course setting which is a "big dot" and too grainy to use.....so I think I was 99% correct....

If you had qualified what you said, then I would have agreed completely that you were 100% correct. What you mean by the above is that you setup HDS Coarse or Super Coarse, which is a 2nd order FM Stochastic screen and was too grainy to use... As such I completely agree with what you say.

However, what you actually said was "...stochastic...". Stochastic just means 'random'. There are several classes of stochastic screens available (for high resolution offset printing):
(a) 1st order FM (such as CrystalRaster, etc...). These are the worst FM screens available.
(b) 2nd order FM (such as HDS, Staccato, Satin, Spekta-II, etc...). These went down a particular road in an attempt to solve some of the problems of 1st order FM screens. They did improve / fix some of the issues with 1st order FM stochastic screening, but not all. Unfortunately, the road they went down is a dead end and it's impossible for them to fix all the problems - which I can prove. Watch this space on this one, as we'll be putting out some White Papers on this in the not-too-distant future.
(c) DM screening, which we introduced just under 1 yr ago. Our first release solved many of the problems facing stochastic screening for high resolution offset printing. Our second release (Auraia-II / DM-II), just announced, solved all of them and perfects it.

FM screens don't control dots, dot patterns or dot interactions carefully enough and have some major inherent design problems - one of them pretty much guarantees large amounts of gain and the other noise, both in single separations and between separations. That's why despite their promise, they never fullfilled it. I will admit that given the best thermal CtP devices (forget violet) and the best plates, on a good press (and on a good day) you can come close, but that's about it and even then it can be inconsistent (which I've seen first hand and heard from many a printer).

Best Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
.:Hamillroad Software | Products | FirstPROOF:.
.:Hamillroad Software | Welcome:.

Last edited:
Andy,

I'm very interested in the DM screen you mentioned as it seems to be the answer to our conundrum. We are a very small shop and the amount of jobs and run lengths didn't seem to justify the additional cost of a thermal or violet platesetter and the higher costs associated with it. After running some numbers we know we can make our business cash flow with a poly system but it was "iffy" at best with costs for metal plates.

From reading on your website it looks like this (Auraia) is simply a plug-in for the Harlequin RIP, and that you have the option to "try before you buy". We have not taken delivery of the new press (Ryobi 534ge) and Mitsubish DPX2, but would definitely like to try this screening method on it. It sounds as though it requires some additional setup / calibration. What does this all entail? and is it something that we would need one of your dealers to come in and setup for us?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back