Looking for a Color Management Book

zcto7

Hello,

I am looking to streamline the prepress dept. at a small sheetfed shop I recently started at. Color management is a big issue. Contract prints are always "pretty close" , softproofs are best guess at best, and the final output is hit or miss, with more than enough wasted plates.

My first goal was to get the pdf workflow going, but now i'm approaching color management and I am looking for some more resources.

I have currently made new targets for the Z2100 proofer, and calibrated the monitors (imac) with my personal Eye-One.

I would like to be able to make custom icc profiles for proofing using the gretagmcbeth spectrometer , (including white points for coated + uncoated) , learn what the ink gain curves are, how to read them, and how to create updated curves per press. When to use UGR/UCR etc....

The book I am looking at is "Real World Color Management (2nd Edition)" printed in 2004 (which isn't a huge concern considering the newest rip and workstation upgrade was in 03/04! ) Is there any others to get? or any online resources to checkout?

Related books owned:
Lab color, canyon conundrum
real world prepress essentials.
Proffesional photoshop by Dan Margulis

Any help, tips , are very appreciated!!

I'd suggest hiring a color consultant. worth the investment. i can make a recommendation or two.

I would recommend "Understanding Color Management" by Abhay Sharma, I have read the Real world color management as well, but if you are just starting out in color I found this is easier to digest, also Abhay is on the ICC and I have contacted him to ask some questions and he is always answered them.

Color Management Training

Color Management Training

Adam, if you want to expand your knowledge of color management, IPA has a new web-based course that's a comprehensive training on Color Management.

The goal of the program is to provide a consistent worldwide understanding of the best practices associated with color management implementation in a graphic communication production environment. The program also assures management teams, production personnel and color management practitioners are properly recognized for their expertise and knowledge of the color management arena.

You can email me at [email protected] or visit Color Management Professional Program | IPA for more info. Good luck!

Adam, if you want to expand your knowledge of color management, IPA has a new web-based course that's a comprehensive training on Color Management.

The goal of the program is to provide a consistent worldwide understanding of the best practices associated with color management implementation in a graphic communication production environment. The program also assures management teams, production personnel and color management practitioners are properly recognized for their expertise and knowledge of the color management arena.

You can email me at [email protected] or visit Color Management Professional Program | IPA for more info. Good luck!

I've taken and passed this course. I found it to be very worthwhile, and you can watch all the training modules for...well, a long time after you've completed the training and test. I'm not sure exactly how long. It's been about 3 months for me.

I would recommend "Understanding Color Management" by Abhay Sharma, I have read the Real world color management as well, but if you are just starting out in color I found this is easier to digest, also Abhay is on the ICC and I have contacted him to ask some questions and he is always answered them.

Ditto on this. Excellent book, easy to follow, and well written. This was my introduction to the world of color management.

Thanks for the replies!

I will check out "Understanding Color Management" as well.

I am finishing up "Color Management Essential Training" by chris murphy, from lynda.com it is a great primer, yet detailed and leaves me wanting to get a deeper understanding of color management.

I will look into the IPA training as well, money is a bit tight now but it looks like it would be worth it, especially for the resume. For those who have taken this course, does it cover anything that Real world color management wouldn't go into?

Chris Murphy's "Real World Color Management" is an excellent resource, but some of the information is dated. Watching Chris Murphy's training on Lynda.com is an excellent alternative, but some of his opinions on settings are restricted to the environment he works in and directed at designers ultimately sending to press. A new book was released last December 2008 in English. It was originally released in 2007 in German. "Digital Color Management" by Jan-Peter Homann. I suggest you check it out because it picks up where Chris Murphy leaves off. I currently am involved with both Fiery and Large Format Inkjet RIP's. I found valuable information in helping me to better understand GCR, kStart, kWidth, and I can now read the curves and know what to expect in my final print..... and I am only halfway through the book.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back