Looking for Metal CTP

JaimeZ

We hope to get into CTP next year. I've looked at several 2up metal devices over the years, including the Presstek Vector TX52, RipIt (now Xante) SpeedSetter VM, and ECRM MAKO 4x.

But I seem to be leaning on Heidelberg's Suprasetter A52/A75.

After experiencing an imagesetter (a ECRM mako) without trapping and imposition software, I definitely want to get both with platesetter.

A reason for going with Heidelberg is we have a 5 color GTO and plan to replace the two duplicators with a Printmaster QM 46. It just seems that having their presses, with their platesetter and software I will have less issues.

What do you think? Or am I just being a Heidelberg snob?

PS. I have looked into the poly models, but I already have a Xante Platemaker 5 that addresses the lower end platemaking.

Last edited:
Join the club, I've been a Heidelberg snob for years.... the only ones who hate it don't have the luxury of using the stuff.

To answer your question, the shop I used to work for I ran a 4up Prosetter and we have several 2up & 4up Heidelberg presses. We had zero issues with the prepress software / hardware / presses or any combination of... I highly recommend the Suprasetter. A friend of mine sells them, and he is the most honest guy I've ever met - he hasn't had any customers have any issues to the best of my knowledge.

Best of luck to you.

I saw your posting and wanted to respond to provide you some additional information.

Having Heidelberg presses should not necessarily dictate the CTP device you decide to purchase. ECRM has customers all over the world who are imaging plates that are hung on Heidelberg presses. There are some pretty compelling arguments in favor of violet laser CTP, not the least of these being the total cost of ownership. Being familiar with the quality of the MAKO imagesetter, it would not surprise you to know that ECRM has an unprecedented parts replacement warranty on MAKO CTP. Five years on the laser and three years on all parts. It is “no-strings-attached” warranty as you are not obligated to a service contract or plate deal, it comes standard with our devices. Check out: www.totalcost.ecrm.com

You highlight a key issue for many shops and that is the matter of workflow. Since the time you purchased your MAKO imagesetter, ECRM has developed a workflow solution called WorkMates. It was designed from the ground up to address the needs of printers who do not have multiple sites but want to implement a PDF based workflow in their shop. It has all the imposition bells and whistles as well as everything you will need for trapping. You can check that out at: ECRM Imaging Systems - Commercial Printing

I hope this information will assist you as you evaluate your options.
Kind regards
Jim Luttrell
ECRM Imaging Systems

Jim Luttrell,

Thank you for the information. I will agree, with the exception of the Heidelberg, ECRM makes a great device for the 2up market compared to the other platesetters I've looked at. Jim Hamlin from ECRM has visited me several times and I will take a serious look at your product. It does help that I've had a good experience with the Mako imagesetter. But alas, we will not be making the decision until sales are up dramatically or we finish paying off the lease on our GTO--which ever comes first.

Last edited:
I have a 2Up Ripit VM2 in my warehouse from a Bank auction. Exxtra Corp made a fabulous Imagestter in the VM2. Plug and Play main board with very few flaws in the marking engine and a powerful L3 PDF workflow complete with all the bells and whistles, trapping, imposition, remote control and so on. I could easily give you an online demo anytime you like. The Rip is set up and running daily for demo purposes. I have many years experience with equipment. Best part, price is very good for this much muscle. You have researched so you know the fit of the VM2 but unless you've seen the Rip in action I would advise to at least try it out.

Erick
Pressmanspride.com

Last edited:
we have a ECRM mako4matic, it is a great machine, we run around 150-200 plates a day out of it with no problems, dont get a platesetter without auto loading and processing, you will waste far to much time loading it up.

Jim, when you say 5 years on the laser, at what exposure setting is that? we had a laser go in 2 years.

I saw your posting and wanted to respond to provide you some additional information.

Having Heidelberg presses should not necessarily dictate the CTP device you decide to purchase. ECRM has customers all over the world who are imaging plates that are hung on Heidelberg presses. There are some pretty compelling arguments in favor of violet laser CTP, not the least of these being the total cost of ownership. Being familiar with the quality of the MAKO imagesetter, it would not surprise you to know that ECRM has an unprecedented parts replacement warranty on MAKO CTP. Five years on the laser and three years on all parts. It is “no-strings-attached” warranty as you are not obligated to a service contract or plate deal, it comes standard with our devices. Check out: www.totalcost.ecrm.com

You highlight a key issue for many shops and that is the matter of workflow. Since the time you purchased your MAKO imagesetter, ECRM has developed a workflow solution called WorkMates. It was designed from the ground up to address the needs of printers who do not have multiple sites but want to implement a PDF based workflow in their shop. It has all the imposition bells and whistles as well as everything you will need for trapping. You can check that out at: ECRM Imaging Systems - Commercial Printing

I hope this information will assist you as you evaluate your options.
Kind regards
Jim Luttrell
ECRM Imaging Systems

cosmos said:
dont get a platesetter without auto loading and processing, you will waste far to much time loading it up.

We use about 100 to 150 metal plates a month or about 5 to 8 a day. Do you still think auto loading is needed for this volume? The platesetter we choice will be able to be retrofitted for auto loading in the future should metal plate usage dramatically increase.

We use about 100 to 150 metal plates a month or about 5 to 8 a day. Do you still think auto loading is needed for this volume? The platesetter we choice will be able to be retrofitted for auto loading in the future should metal plate usage dramatically increase.
Disagree my self, I work installing some other systems which include manual systems, 5 to 8 plates will take very little time to load, especially if its for a smaller plate size. only thing you may need to work out, is if it viable on only 5 to 8 plates a day.

we have a prosetter 74 ( it will be for sale soon) it is all manuall load you can easily hit the button to unload, go grab a plate, take the old plate out and flop in processor. load new plate. takes less than 60 seconds. this is for the 52 and 46 sizes. the 74 the same is possibly but takes a firm hand to get everything done properly. you can still get 10 plates an hour even if your slow. I don't know about the supra setter, but I would bet it is similar. as far as cost per plate you are going to go through more chemistry than a standard plate setter. but you will get rid of the film chemistry. also you will get much better registration on the press than your current system. that aloan will pay for a little bit of the cost. I figure we gained 2 hours a day getting rid of film. no stripping, no masking sheets, no film. one processor. new rips. I would compare costs. on all of your consumables. then ask why should I go violet versus thermal. processless is nice. violet processors are messy. but thermal lasers don't last as long and you have some dust to deal with. run length. good luck

We just went from the Prosetter violet plates to the suprasetter chemfree. It is nice to have the inline processor on the Suprasetter but was not necessary for us to get the autoloader either. I have noticed the chemfree takes a little longer to make plates but the you have to worry about replacing the gum and an auto rinse cycle. Other than that there is very little maintenance compared to the prosetters violet plates and clean up of the processor. We probably run the same amount of plates as you were referring to and still hand feed.

how many impressions to you see from the thermal plates? Do they store well for a week or so.? I heard some process free plates don't store well.

Last edited:
If I were you I would look at the Glunz-Jensen Plateriter, the Jetplate CTP or the Polijet or Metijet systems by Technova. All of these systems are inkjet technology based CTP systems and the quality rivals that of conventional CTP, unnoticeable to the naked eye. Some pushing 175 LPI stochastic screening. I am a huge fan of stochastic screening. The best thing about these systems is the price which is a fraction of the cost of conventional CTP, and with the economy in a recession this might be a smart move for you. Not to mention these systems are more environmentally friendly if you are looking at going Green.

Last edited:
For this sort of work the SupraSetter A type was develloped.
Start with the basic model, if business grows you still can go for the automation.
( It is an option that can be installed afterwards )
The same story on the dual cassette system...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back