MAC disk issue

I have a mac G5 at home and i went to clean it up the other day so i ran Onyx on it and got a message saying that i need to repair disk by inserting start up disk 1 go to utilities , disk utilities. thats all it says so i went there verified the disk and it says passsed. so then i reloaded everything from scratch same error done the test sart up same error, then booted up from the start up disk and i still get the same message. does antone have an idea on what to do.

Thanks.

I wish I could help you, but I do not know enough about the MAC OS to do any good.

The irony is Macs have the reputation of no issues--the perfect platform.

I could help you more with Windows based computers--since they have more issues, I've had to invest more time on them. The frustrating thing about MACS is when they go bad there are few good Mac techs that can do repairs, unlike Windows.

PrePressLacky, I hope someone will be able to help you so that I can learn more as well.

If I understand your problem correctly, it sounds like you're getting a bad disk warning from OnyX but the OS says everything is fine. Other than the warning from OnyX is your computer working fine and otherwise bootable?

it sounds like an OnyX bug to me. You might want to check with the forums for OnyX to see if the developer or anyone there can help you.
Titanium's Software : • Index page

I do see that a few people had some problems with an older version (1.9.9) and an Invalid Node Structure error. (Scroll down for the comments). Are you running the latest version?
Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate Mac Optimizers Software Downloads

I've got to admit, I haven't used OnyX in awhile. There are a whole bunch of free or cheap utilities on the Mac OS that act as a GUI for the built in Unix underpinnings so you don't have to type in terminal commands. Usually they're pretty safe since the tried and true Unix commands that have been in use for 20 years, but they're not perfect.

As an alternative you may want to check out Applejack instead. It runs on a lower level than OnyX in single user mode, so at first it seems a little daunting to the new user, but it's really easy to use and can fix a few more boot issues than the other utils since it loads before the normal Mac OS.
Download AppleJack for Mac - Troubleshooting/repair utility. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads

Shawn

In the process of moving so cant do latest updates using a mac at work right now. By updates were good when i first ran Onyx . But other than that yes it does run and boot fine. I will check out applejack though hope you learned something JaimeZ and thanks to both of yo for posting..

Thanks,
Prepresslacky

Sounds like your HD has gone bad. For the price of drives these days and the ease of replacement, I would just put a new drive in. But thats just my opinion.

I have to agree with Drawkward just buy a new hard drive its not worth losing it all at the wrong time. You can have a nice drive for under $200.00

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back