Mac Font Book as a production font management tool

Colorblind

Hi everybody, recently our Studio got upgraded with brand new iMacs and our IT department decided not to install Suitcase Fusion to manage fonts (looks like an attempt to save a few bucks) and told the designers that Apple's Font Book would do the job perfectly. Of course, our designers are complaining because they're used to Suitcase. So here's my question: is Mac Font Book a reliable tool from a production perspective?

FontBook can be used, and I've seen places where it works fine with a limited font set, but in my experience it gets a little flaky when you throw a lot of fonts at it. If they're looking for a free, robust font manager why not try Linotype Font Explorer. You can still download the non-pro (free) version and its worked great for us.

http://fex.linotype.com/FontExplorerX123.dmg

Shawn

Better yet do no use any font manager at all. Just use the user folder/font folder. But an alias in the dock and just put copies of fonts in there when you need them. No conflicts, cache issue, etc. Works like a charm.

p

the User font folder, because it doesn't resolve conflicts, can be a dangerous tool in the Prepress environment. Especially if you change fonts continually throughout the course of a day.
Your best bet, and I have used it myself since it was released, is FEX, as noted in a post by Shawn.
It works great in OS X (10.4 through 10.6).
and it works with Quark 8! A very special bonus!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back