Mac OS X 10.7.x VNC clients

mattbeals

COTV (Chicken of the VNC) doesn't appear to works too well when running on Mac OS X 10.7 and connecting to NON-10.7 clients.

The "serving" Mac in question has 10.6.8 and is using Apple's screen sharing with VNC access. The remote connecting Mac is 10.7.x. Does anyone have a suggestion on reliable Mac VNC clients? JollyFastVNC doesn't seem to play well running on a 10.7 client accessing 10.6.x.

I suppose I may have to use an alternate VNC server...

Thanks for any leads.

Last edited:
Hi Matt

I've been having good luck using the basic screen sharing built into the OS. Just go to connect to server and enter "vnc://[ip address]" or "vnc://[macname.local]" and it should right hook up.

If you really want to get fancy you can add the username and password as part of your connection script as well. "vnc://username:password@[ip address]

You can also open the screen sharing client from
System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app
and enter in your connection info from there.

...and finally if you save the info below as a raw text file -- replacing username, password and ipaddress with your info -- and the extension .vncloc it will launch screen sharing and open up your server.

----

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>URL</key>
<string>vnc://username:password@ipaddress/</string>
</dict>
</plist>

----
Hope this helps.
Shawn

I use Team Viewer (free for non commercial use) on all my devices besides apple and on iphone and ipad I use Pocket Cloud ($14.99 single purchase) Pocket Cloud supports VNC and RDP if you wanted to use it that way, but I use it as a way to get quick and easy access to personal servers, as opposed to Team Viewer which I use for "non commercial clients" ;)

Once you use Team Viewer, you will never use another product, small remote file if your the client, and easy use if your the remote "dooer" person.

Teamviewer work great in PC environments too. Being an app instead of a browser add on makes it fast and stable.

Why dony you use the standard Screen Sharing app that is installed on your system?
I am using this and it works like a charm.

I second screen share app as well. It's buried in the system library folder. But once you have it on the dock. Just launch it and enter the ip address and you are good.

p

If you are in a complete mac environment, and screen sharing is turned on each computer, you should be able to go to the shared section on your sidebar, select the computer you want to view, and press "share screen". It will launch the screen sharing app and ask for the credentials you set up on the mac you are trying to share the screen with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back