Mac Upgrade

ripit

Quick question, I am in the process of replacing 2 Imac's to newer models. I Have Adobe CS4 running on the old Imacs and I will be installing CS5 on the new Imacs. Can I still buy just the CS5 upgrade to install? will it install on the new Imac without seeing an older version? Or do I need to purchase full versions of CS5? Thanks in advance for your help

up grade to cs5

up grade to cs5

It shouldn't be a problem to upgrade to a different computer - you will need the CS4 serial #. If you have problems Adobe tech support will help you out.

Quick question, I am in the process of replacing 2 Imac's to newer models. I Have Adobe CS4 running on the old Imacs and I will be installing CS5 on the new Imacs. Can I still buy just the CS5 upgrade to install? will it install on the new Imac without seeing an older version? Or do I need to purchase full versions of CS5? Thanks in advance for your help

When upgrading it is normal to have a license that does not allow the previous versions to be installed or used. So if you want to keep CS4 running on the old iMac's I'm 99% sure that the Adobe license requires you to buy new licenses for the new machines.

Some licenses required you to destroy previous copies.

If you deactivate the CS4 on the older units before shutting them off, you'll be able to buy the upgrade using those Serial Numbers. However, if you plan to still use those machines with CS4, you will have to buy full as the activation will remain "open" on those machines and you will not be able to activate an upgrade install.

up grading . . .

up grading . . .

Thats funny because as I sit here I have CS 2, CS4, and CS5 running simultaneously on my mac pro running 10.6.4 . . . . no problems - I didn't deactivate them since I have plugins that I didn't want to upgrade . . . so far so good . .. .

As a service provider it is normal to have multiple versions on one machine, all active...*since you will be using one at a time. The legal issue comes when you install the upgrade on a different machine. This is a legal breach since you can only use the one or the other. It is allowed to install on one workstation and one home computer or laptop, i e 2 installs, BUT you are only to use one or the other at any given time.
E.g I have CS4 on my main computer and CS4 and CS5 on my laptop (my main does not support CS5 since it is a G5) I may use CS4 on my main, but am not allowed to use CS4 or CS5 on my laptop until I shut down on my main.
Now if you are using the two installs in the office or at the same time you are breaching your contract.

Thats funny because as I sit here I have CS 2, CS4, and CS5 running simultaneously on my mac pro running 10.6.4 . . . . no problems - I didn't deactivate them since I have plugins that I didn't want to upgrade . . . so far so good . .. .

I would not advertise that .....;)

In general I just run CS5 but if a customer comes in and asks a ? about one of the others I may not completely quit what I am doing just to demo a feature they are asking about .. . . I try to keep my applications that are running to a minimum . . . to be honest I can't remember the last time I ran any versions at the same time . . .. . I was just saying they can live happily on the same computer

It isn't really a matter of having them running at the same time. Depending on how the EULA is written you can only have the current version only. Implying that having previous versions concurrently installed is not allowed. Think of it this way; If you get the upgrade then you have to get rid of the old stuff.

But you will have to read the EULA to know for sure.

Well it was simpler when Adobe had the ASN programme ;) then there was an understanding that we needed to have all versions to better serve our common customers. The reasons we need to have backward compatibility is so that the files created by customers are able to get handled correctly so that they get the right results. A customer with CS3 needs to have his files output from CS3 to be 100% sure that there are no reflows (e.g the way that insets work on non rectangular objects changed), also they might want the fixed files back, and upping a version and then saving to interchange isn't the best option. Also for many customers an ex ASN will often be the clients first line support, since we know how they work. I think if we had the choice it is easier for all of us to stick to just one version at a time.
It is true however that it was a while back I did scrutinze the EULA.

Lukas . . . boy are you ever right . . . and its kind of ironic that shortly after Adobe stopped the ASP/ASN program, it wasn't that long ago that they stopped it and did you notice that their stock just took a 20% hit in one day on Sept 22 when their earnings surged but the outlook was weaker than expected. IMHO Adobe blew it when they canceled the program since we were their biggest sales force. At least I would recommend upgrading to all of my customers since I had seen all of their new tricks and most customers listened to me - but when CS 5 came out - I didn't know what was in store for them since no pre-release version was sent out to us so I couldn't recommend it and to date I have only received one file in CS5 from a customer . . . wonder why the sales dropped so suddenly????

And the industry has always tended to look the other way when it came to print providers, how many of us would go buy the fonts a customer used rather than ask them to provide them with the file - even when you package an InDesign file it will package the fonts for you which in my understanding is a technical violation of the law.

my 2 cents on this . . . .

It isn't really a matter of having them running at the same time. Depending on how the EULA is written you can only have the current version only. Implying that having previous versions concurrently installed is not allowed. Think of it this way; If you get the upgrade then you have to get rid of the old stuff.

But you will have to read the EULA to know for sure.

We run the same type of setup as dabob so we looked this up a while ago... just in case :)

According to "Section 5: Updates" in the CS4 EULA posted on the Adobe website, they do allow you to continue to use older versions on a machine after you have upgraded. I think that this was to allow print providers to keep processing files from older versions.

"After you install such update or upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license agreement only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are installed on the same Computer, (b) the previous versions or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all copies of the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or device and (c) you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may end upon the availability of the upgrade or update."

Quark originally disallowed this, but after some user complaints they followed suit and changed their licensing as well to match Adobe's policy. From Section 10 of their EULA...

"Upon Installation of the Update, End User may continue to use the previous version provided that the Update and the previous version are installed on the same computers, subject to the limitation set forth in Section 1 hereof. Upon installation of the Update, End User shall not transfer the previous version to a third party."

If you're tired and need help getting to sleep you can get the Adobe EULAs here
Adobe - Adobe product license agreements

and Quark's here
Quark: Read the Quark Global Software License Agreement

Of course these are general EULAs for each product. It's possible that other specific licensing situations could be different.

Shawn

Shawn . . . thanks I can now stop looking over my shoulder for the software police to come knocking on my door for keeping my older versions . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back