Manroland Favorit press questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 16349
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16349

PrintPlaneteers,

I hope there are some press operators and others who are familiar with the Manroland Favorit press.

I have a contact in Europe who has this press and they are interested in testing my technology that eliminates ink/water balance and the related density variation. This contact is not a press operator but more of a technical administrator and the organization is not a commercial printer.

I will be getting dimensions from that contact so that I can design a simple version of the concept but I suspect that it will not be as easy to get operating info which I would like to know about. So I have some questions that I am hoping knowledgeable users can provide on that specific press.

Questions

How is the ink fountain roller driven?
Is it driven with an independent drive (separate motor), a continuous drive that is mechanically driven from the press drive or a ratchet drive of some kind?

Is the ink fountain roller speed adjustable and how is it adjusted?

Does the ink fountain roller rotation stop when the press is running but paper is not being fed and printed?

Can the ink fountain roller be stopped when the press is printing paper?

To stop feeding ink into the roller train, is stopping the ductor action the only way ink feed is stopped?

Answers to these specific questions would be very helpful, especially from operators of this press.

Thanks to all who can provide some comments on this press.

Erik

Faber & Schleicher - Roland Favorit Press

Faber & Schleicher - Roland Favorit Press

Hello Erik,

I hope the following PDFs will be helpful, they are from a 1966 copy of Roland News
Magazine.

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Roland Favorit # 1109.pdf
    865.5 KB · Views: 302
  • Roland Favorit # 2110.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 301
  • Roland Favorit # 3111.pdf
    863 KB · Views: 285
Hello Erik,

I hope the following PDFs will be helpful, they are from a 1966 copy of Roland News
Magazine.

Regards, Alois

Alois,

Thanks for the PDF's. The PDF's don't address the specific questions but they highlighted a new one that I need to ask my contact. It appears that there is more than one roller train layout for this press. One roller train layout that I got off the internet has the ductor roller (vibratory roller 71 in your PDF) rotating in the usual way, which is counter to the direction of the ink fountain roller. In your PDF, the roller 71 is turning in the same rotational direction as the ink fountain roller. Also the whole roller train is a bit different.

I guess I have to be careful in what year the target press was built in. I am told it is a 1986 version. The 1966 info is probably out of date for this model.

Answers in Red hope this helps

PrintPlaneteers,

How is the ink fountain roller driven?
Is it driven with an independent drive (separate motor), a continuous drive that is mechanically driven from the press drive or a ratchet drive of some kind?

Depends on the Yr of the Press if older it is a Mechanical Movment if later it is Driven by an independant motor

Is the ink fountain roller speed adjustable and how is it adjusted?

Ink fountain Rollers on all machines are adjustable, if older their is a Knob on the press to control this if it has an off press control their is a knob on the console to adjust it.

Does the ink fountain roller rotation stop when the press is running but paper is not being fed and printed?

the roller continues to Rotate When idle and while running but not feeding. although it does not duct ink only rotates

Can the ink fountain roller be stopped when the press is printing paper?

IF roller can be stopped

To stop feeding ink into the roller train, is stopping the ductor action the only way ink feed is stopped?

either by stopping the Ductor/vibrator roller or buy Stopping the ink fountain roller

Erik

its been a long time but if memory serves me correct but i think its worth noting that the ink balll motion is a ratcheting action. That is to mean it starts and stop each time the ratcheting engagement dog makes contact with the gear.

Roland Roller Trains

Roland Roller Trains

Erik,

PDFs Roland Favorit - 1978 / 1988

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Roland Favorit Year 1978 112.pdf
    230.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 2 Color Roland Fav orit Year 1988114.pdf
    453.7 KB · Views: 277
Erik,

PDFs Roland Favorit - 1978 / 1988

Regards, Alois

Thanks Alois,

These drawings of the roller train look very much like the ones I got off the internet.

I have some photos of the press in question and the sizes of the ink fountain roller and the ductor (vibrator) roller don't seem to be having the same ratio as the ones in the drawings. 80mm diam---60 mm diam.

This might be due to the photo which is not great for scaling.

It will be some info I am going to confirm.

If you still have questions you can call 1.800.676.5263 and ask to speak with sheetfed technical support.

If you still have questions you can call 1.800.676.5263 and ask to speak with sheetfed technical support.

Thanks for the offer Tron.

I asked my contact about the ink fountain roller speed and they confirmed that is was adjustable. Apparently on some other versions of this press, it isn't. Anyhow that was good news.

I was promised that I would get specific dimensions I needed tomorrow. Hopefully that should be OK and I can complete my detail design.

Thanks.

Thanks for the offer Tron.

I asked my contact about the ink fountain roller speed and they confirmed that is was adjustable. Apparently on some other versions of this press, it isn't. Anyhow that was good news.

I was promised that I would get specific dimensions I needed tomorrow. Hopefully that should be OK and I can complete my detail design.

Thanks.

who ever told you that is talking Bollox ive yet to see a press where you cannot adjust the speed of the fountain roller

who ever told you that is talking Bollox ive yet to see a press where you cannot adjust the speed of the fountain roller

I was a bit surprised when the response was NO to that question. Maybe there was a misunderstanding and NO really meant YES. :) The person has a lot of experience in servicing presses so I would not like to say that he was wrong.

I have seen offset presses with fixed speed ink fountain rollers. Not traditional offset presses but ones that print on plastic cups. Some manufacturers of these types of presses had motor driven ink fountain rollers but others such as Polytype had fixed speeds with no adjustment. The rate of the ductor action and ink key position were the only adjustments possible.

Older Goss newspaper presses have a gear driven ink ball, it moves at speed with the press only. I was told that there was a gear reduction that you could engage, but I never had the desire to find out.

Any ratcheting ink ball is going to be adjustable. That is the purpose of the ratcheting mechanism.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back