Mgi meteor dp40 / 60

smatros

Anyone runs the MGI color digital presses? The machines are impressive, but I wonder how they preform in real life. Any feedback is more then welcome. Interrested also if anyone runs any other MGI products.

We have 2 of the older DP40's in France, but all they print on is plastic. I would say it depends on what you want to do with it. The newer DP 60's I believe are $200,000 for the paper version and $250,000 for the plastic and paper. For 60 pages per minute that seams to be somewhat on the high side.

we've had the DP40 in our shop for about 2 yrs. For toners based CMYK I suppose it's pretty good. If you did decide to buy make sure you get a service plan as we have ongoing service issues. I'd have to ask the owner as to whether he'd buy this again however.

Anyone runs the MGI color digital presses? The machines are impressive, but I wonder how they preform in real life. Any feedback is more then welcome. Interrested also if anyone runs any other MGI products.

Yes, the machine is impressive. I bought a DP40 last year (I am in California), it runs great but a bit slow for our business (2000/hr for 8.5x11 color). I am thinking about trading in for DP60.
If you run paper, envelope and/or plastic + that speed is acceptable, then it's good choice. I can sell it to you at discount (instead of trading in) and have MGI offer you service contract if you want.
Thanks

Go for DP 60 Plastic n Paper version, It is really a great machine. Prints variety of substrates.. and speed is also pretty good at around 1600 A3 sheets per hr.. best part is printing quality. So you can think of this machine seriously.

We just got one and are having some color matching issues. We are doing good with black and white.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Which one you have.. DP 40 Or DP 60
Most of the problems related to colors gets solved by stabilizing and calibrating the machine..
please tell me the problem in detail, may be i can help you out..

Umesh

Customer PDF's print fine, when we change those PDF's to TIF files and insert them into another file with the variable data the image color is not the same as the orinal PDF.

Thanks

Customer PDF's print fine, when we change those PDF's to TIF files and insert them into another file with the variable data the image color is not the same as the orinal PDF.

Thanks

could be the conversion problem then, maybe you loose icc or similar. I doubt it is the machine / rip fault, it's more like pre-press issue.

How dose the machine run besides that? Is registratio front/back tight? Do you laminate prints? and crease them? Any other good / bad points?

hi,
why do you think Konica Minolta is better than MGI's DP 60, do you have any of these machines...
please share your experience

kalnargraphics

kalnargraphics

Yes, the machine is impressive. I bought a DP40 last year (I am in California), it runs great but a bit slow for our business (2000/hr for 8.5x11 color). I am thinking about trading in for DP60.
If you run paper, envelope and/or plastic + that speed is acceptable, then it's good choice. I can sell it to you at discount (instead of trading in) and have MGI offer you service contract if you want.
Thanks

do you still have a meteor dp 40 pro for sale with you.
if so please mail me to [email protected]
thank you

regards
venkat ram
kalnar graphics

Laser safe?

Laser safe?

The most interesting thing about these is they possibly could do short run (on-demand) stationary. For this to work, the output has to be re-laserable (Which iGen or Indigos can't do.). And they have to do a good job being stable on Pantone colours. Today's Pantone 230 has to print the same a month or a year from now.

Which machine is better for short runs (100-500)?
Do you have any Canadian (or Toronto) installs yet?

The MGI DP 60 uses the Konica Minolta 6500 print engine and front end. I demo'd it at the Print 09 show in Chicago. I was quite surprised when I opened it up and it had the same guts as my 6500's.
It seems like a good machine but unless you can get a premium for your work it's just too slow for 300k imo.

mgi

mgi

Yes, it's slow and pricey, good for qty of 500 or less. They use KM machine and add the feeding table to improve registration. They also control fusing temp for different substrates. Also it stops for calibration very frequent so the throughput is ~30% lower than spec. Also if you run heavier stocks, full side sheet and duplex, you need to factor these in.
Recently there's one supplier selling plastic and other substrates that we can run thru regular toner machines.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back