Minolta c6500 running cost

drak1

Hello,

I am going to buy second hand C6500 system. i would like to consider to maintain it by minolta service but not with contract.
Can you help me estimate the lifetime of consumables ?

1.. Toners : it should be clear, color 24000pages at 5 %
So the real should be 70% full collor page A4 what is - 1714 full color average pages.
Is it correct ? I guess so.

2.What about the developers and drums? Thez are rated for 200.000 pages , But is it also 5% page? If i will print 70% will the yeild be lower the same way as i calculate toners?

3. Mkit 100.000, Maintaince kit 200.000. Are they always necessery or do use them later ?

Who own your minoltac6500, can you give me the real numbers from your real work? How much consumables have you spent ??

I would appreciate your help as I want to decide to sign or not for the service contract.

if you prefer, please send me your opinion to email.

thank you for your help..

Drak.D

In my experience, you will be sorry without the service contract. The parts are very expensive, and time consuming to replace. We have two of these oce badged units, and run about 1 million sheets a year through each of them, and we average about 2 service calls a month. These machines produce spectacular output, but only if highly and properly maintained.

Yeah, Im with that guy I would not buy a colour production machine from anyone without a contract. To be honest most venders make 3/5 of bugger all out of production colour. I can see the cost of each call at the end of the job and it is very rarely under $1000.

I'd also recommend a full service contract 100%.

If you are in the US, it's a no brainer. In other countries, you may be right exploring other options.

You will want a service contract these copiers are made of tin, spit and bailing wire.

C 6500,c6501

C 6500,c6501

Hi all,

I am looking for a service manual for KM C6500 and C6501. Can any one provide me the same.

Thanks you!!

Regards..

as others have said, I'd stay away from that option... beyond the need for lots of service & high markup on parts... its rare a KM machine's components run to the stated life. Trust me we go through thousands at our dealership & rarely do they hit life on the KM brand. If your going to try, then I'd suggest that you budget for 70% life vs 100% and even then that's a huge gamble when your not offsetting it through lots of machines like we are.

Be very careful

Be very careful

Hello,

I am going to buy second hand C6500 system. i would like to consider to maintain it by minolta service but not with contract.
Can you help me estimate the lifetime of consumables ?

1.. Toners : it should be clear, color 24000pages at 5 %
So the real should be 70% full collor page A4 what is - 1714 full color average pages.
Is it correct ? I guess so.

2.What about the developers and drums? Thez are rated for 200.000 pages , But is it also 5% page? If i will print 70% will the yeild be lower the same way as i calculate toners?

3. Mkit 100.000, Maintaince kit 200.000. Are they always necessery or do use them later ?

Who own your minoltac6500, can you give me the real numbers from your real work? How much consumables have you spent ??

I would appreciate your help as I want to decide to sign or not for the service contract.

if you prefer, please send me your opinion to email.

thank you for your help..

Drak.D

Ask for the maint.log on this second hand c6500.Personally if I were you I would run.I have the Ikon version of this, the CPP650.It's two years old, has had nothing but problems from the day they plugged it in and two years into a four year lease it's pretty much dead.The techs are scratching their heads.Look into a Xerox, we are.I've heard all the talk about the plastic insides.The CPP650 is all metal, and a piece of crap.The Xerox used is platic and still running like a charm.The CPP650 came off the line with defective blades on the drum units which had to be redesigned from Japan.They sold it to everyone anyway.What does that tell you.

Ask for the maint.log on this second hand c6500.Personally if I were you I would run.I have the Ikon version of this, the CPP650.It's two years old, has had nothing but problems from the day they plugged it in and two years into a four year lease it's pretty much dead.The techs are scratching their heads.Look into a Xerox, we are.I've heard all the talk about the plastic insides.The CPP650 is all metal, and a piece of crap.The Xerox used is platic and still running like a charm.The CPP650 came off the line with defective blades on the drum units which had to be redesigned from Japan.They sold it to everyone anyway.What does that tell you.

Sounds like your servce is crap as this machine (the km version anyway) is pretty good. As for the drums for the first 12 months we had no problems, they changed manufacturer and we had heaps of problems, then they changed to diamond cut drums and problem gone. I feel your pain.

Hey Uber,
I gotta ask for your opinion on this. What makes a re-branded print engine different, Why would KM be better or worse than Oce or what would make Canon better or worse than Kodak, Xerox/Fuji..... In my mind it would seem to me that right out of the box the only thing that would be different are the skin colors and name plate. Once the machine is installed then I could justify service as a valid point, some are trained much better than others.

Hey Uber,
I gotta ask for your opinion on this. What makes a re-branded print engine different, Why would KM be better or worse than Oce or what would make Canon better or worse than Kodak, Xerox/Fuji..... In my mind it would seem to me that right out of the box the only thing that would be different are the skin colors and name plate. Once the machine is installed then I could justify service as a valid point, some are trained much better than others.

Well your right, if each rebadge was installed at the same time I would expect the first page to come out pretty much the same. But in reality service is the most important part of the performance of a machine. This starts on the first day with installation and training. A majority of issues are down to training (although you immdiately think im trying to slide blame) but reading the forums lots of issues are to do with the customer not understanding the machine, which isn't helped by the tech also having no idea. Sure there are engine problems like Trish's (who is a engine vendor rep trying to whip up uncertainty) but if the tech has no idea from day one the machine won't run right, the customer will see this as a poor performer. One would hope a KM tech would have a better idea than anyone else, thats why my Toyata gets serviced at Toyota.

Dear Uber Tech, are you referring to me being a vendor/rep for engines? I own a small printing store.I don't sell printers.I am just trying to warn and share my really bad experience with my CPP 650.I am looking for anyone who had this same experience or trying to spare someone from having it.Would you answer a question for me?Are you familiar with the Ikon CPP 650?I have not been able to get a straight answer on a few questions.Seeing as you are an KM tech.you may know??

Well your right, if each rebadge was installed at the same time I would expect the first page to come out pretty much the same. But in reality service is the most important part of the performance of a machine. This starts on the first day with installation and training. A majority of issues are down to training (although you immdiately think im trying to slide blame) but reading the forums lots of issues are to do with the customer not understanding the machine, which isn't helped by the tech also having no idea. Sure there are engine problems like Trish's (who is a engine vendor rep trying to whip up uncertainty) but if the tech has no idea from day one the machine won't run right, the customer will see this as a poor performer. One would hope a KM tech would have a better idea than anyone else, thats why my Toyata gets serviced at Toyota.

Not if the machine you are starting out with is crap!!!!

Dear Uber Tech, are you referring to me being a vendor/rep for engines? I own a small printing store.I don't sell printers.I am just trying to warn and share my really bad experience with my CPP 650.I am looking for anyone who had this same experience or trying to spare someone from having it.Would you answer a question for me?Are you familiar with the Ikon CPP 650?I have not been able to get a straight answer on a few questions.Seeing as you are an KM tech.you may know??

What experience? Drum flipping? Yep probably every engine based on the c6500 had this problem. It was covered in depth in this forum and is old news. The fact you are struggling to bring up any problem other than this raises my suspicions. Not because these machines aren't particularly unreliable but its hard to believe drum blade flipping could devastate a business.

Last edited:
its hard to believe drum blade flipping could devastate a business.

Not to take sides but as a print for pay owner, if this "problem" is one that requires a service call to fix, that would mean the machine could be down for several hours. In my shop when the machine is sitting idle it costs money, in my case with my 8000AP it's in the tune of $40.00 per hour based on a 40 hour week. Now Xerox does not credit my invoice for every hour the machine is down for service, I am assuming no other manufacture does either.

My last machine (Canon) was a service nightmare, with 135 service calls in it's last year. Now figure 3 hours on an average call, that's 405 hours in that year the machine was not usable... that hurts when you have deadlines to meet!

Sometimes I think Tech's make light of the "little" things that may take you 20min to fix after you walk in the door. You need to remember from the time I place that call I am dead in the water depending on you to get here as fast as you can. That's why I treat my techs VERY well, in turn they do the same for me!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back