Not many people know (yet). The InSite development team formed a company called Viki Solutions who have a replacement for InSite. I am the original architect of InSite back from the Creo days and founded Viki Solutions in 2010 when Kodak asked me to lay off my entire R&D team in Canada (53 people). Our product is called Vera and is a complete replacement of InSite Creative Workflow. And our HTML proofer application (called Vproof) runs on iPad.
Yes we do have a customer using Prinect with Vera.
Vera's architecture allows for one or more prepress systems to be connected to one Vera system. We have built specific connectors to Kodak Prinergy Connect and Enfocus Pitstop Server as well as a generic file system connector. We have customers who have used the file system connector to Fuji XMF and Heidelberg Prinect. All connectors allow for an interaction with the end user such that:
1. the user uploads a file into a job
2. the file is delivered to and is processed by prepress workflow
3. Prepress workflow creates one or more files from the source file and registers them with Vera
4. Vera displays the results to the end user for proofing, or Vera sends an email to the user that the proofs are ready
5. When the user approves the files, prepress workflow is notified. With Prinergy Connect this step goes a bit further by integrating into Prinergy's RBA Rules Based Automation for further automation.
Is there a solution out there that has the basics of Prinergy yet is focused on smaller shops that have say a 524 and a couple 2 colors?
Prinergy is way overkill for my sized shop and it's not possible to cost justify a system like that, but it would be nice to have a portal to be able to upload proofs for simple online approvals.
CONTROLLING THE PURSE STRINGS
By Noel Ward, Editor@Large
What did you buy for your business last week?
And how are you making sure everything you purchase is properly
managed and accounted for? Read the Article