Moiré on Narrow web CMYK+spot job

richprint

My company made a set of cmyk plates plus a spot gold for a small label for one of our clients. We sent it down using the angle set of c7.5, m67.5, y82.5, k52.5 @ 156lpi samba dot, but when the printer got to the black channel a moiré appeared and pulled the job. They were using a 60° (i think 3.2bcm anilox) on an older Mark Andy and confirmed that the mounting, registration and setup were typical for a process job. We remade the job, using the same len files that made it the first time and basically burned a new set up plates, bingo, worked. So we are at loss as it was the same ripped file, just re burned. Do we have a CDI issue? But we had 37 other plates on that flat that burned and we haven't heard one peep out of anyone else about a moiré on their jobs.

Can anyone spread some light on this? Was it a bad plate and just a fluke or did they have the problem and were just trying to put the blame on us? I feel because their customer was there for a press check and it went wrong, they couldn't blame themselves so they blame the plate guys since its an easy way out. But of course we don't say anything, make the new plates and cross our fingers.

We sent it down using the angle set of c7.5, m67.5, y82.5, k52.5 @ 156lpi samba dot, but when the printer got to the black channel a moiré appeared and pulled the job. They were using a 60° (i think 3.2bcm anilox) on an older Mark Andy[snip]

Just for clarity's sake, what kind of moiré was it - single channel (K only) or a moiré between K and one of the other colors?

BTW the standard flexo screen dot is round (non-Euclidean) and angles (according to Esko) are:

Flexo 1 30° - c 22.5, m 52.5, y 7.5, k 82.5

Flexo 2 60° - c 7.5, m 37.5, y 82.5, k 67.5

best, gordo

Last edited:
It was a moiré between K and the other channels, K was second last before gold and it showed up when it was printed with CMY.

The angles we ran with are within shuttle to our Esko rip.

Gordo, would that not be c 7.5, m 82.5 k at 67.5 and Yellow, the least intense colour at 37.5?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back