Moving to a New Platform

Cory Smith

It's hard to believe we are coming up on a year since we relaunched PrintPlanet. In that time you have created over 2500 threads and 15,000 new posts! Thank you to everyone for your participation. I hope you find it to be a great resource.

We have received some great feedback since the relaunch and in order to implement some of the changes our members have requested, we have decided to move to a new platform. This new site will offer many of the requested features as well as provide flexibility for new ones. All critical information will be automatically transferred over (accounts, threads and posts), while some information like signatures and profile options will need to be recreated once we move. A year ago we successfully integrated two communities running on wildly different platforms. We hope you'll continue to give us the great feedback that enabled us to make that successful as we begin this new chapter at PrintPlanet!

Re: Moving to a New Platform

Nice! Can't wait to see what it brings for imprvoved posting & display options. B-)

Hello,
I wanted to give everyone a preview of the new site.

http://dev1.whattheythink.net/index.php

The content here will be flushed and a new import done over the weekend. Anything that is posted there will not be kept.

*A few things that the new forum will bring:*

* Ability to view all new posts since last visit
* Jump to newest unread post
(those were the two most requested features)

* Suppress Signatures
* Supress Avatars
* Ignore Users
* More robust Private Message capabilities
* Email Threads
* Attach polls to threads

If you have some time and would like to provide feedback, please send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks!

http://dev1.whattheythink.net/index.php

Looks great, more efficient use of screen (if content and discussions are good I would be active anyway, but I am greatfull for good efficiency)

Lkas

The look is definitely much cleaner and more intuitive
to me. I'm more interested in the new module's feature
set, which sounds nice.

overall, a good look, but the text is a little small, I find it hard to read. The font size and readability of the current forum is good for me.

thanks Cory, nice job!

edit...(due to a second look at the new version)
maybe it's the use of the serif font that makes it look smaller, I noticed your using a sans serif font here, easier on the eyes.

Edited by: DavidMa on Aug 7, 2008 4:01 PM

Thanks All.

After looking at the font, I agree..I upped the site on everything a bit.

Will attatchments work better? Some things in the graphic industry are better described graphically, tried attatching a small screen dump in one forum, and I can't get it to work either in safari or firefox. Is it a windows world, or do I need special permissions? Or is there other things like naming conventions? File size/format?

yes, file attachments will work much better with expanded file sizes and more file types.

A little lost in the new interface, I see that now the member name rather than name appears, which is a problem when I typoed my member name ;d
Otherwise attatchments work well, (should it not be a slimmed down window?) but the link to last post is very small, end up clicking the name.
Also I think the date takes very much space (would prefer a "day month year" or "year month day" format as it makes it easier to see what is the newest post).

The size of text is good but the large size of everything else quickly fills laptop screens.

Hi Lukas,
Yes your username appears now instead of your real name. This was a problem on the previous forum because we had several different people using the same first name. Using the Username as the display name will ensure that everyone has a unique identifier.

If anyone would like their username changed, please email me and I can change it.

On the attachments window, when you say Slim Down, i'm not entirely sure what you mean, can you explain that? or post a screen shot.

Thanks

slimed attatchment dialogue

slimed attatchment dialogue

slim down I mean, since the window is infact a dialog box, the banner, adds and scroll bars just clutter it. See two attatchments one as is and one slimmed down.

Attachments

• uppload.jpg
    uppload.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 176
  • uppload_slim.jpg
    uppload_slim.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 180
Avitar

Avitar

the avitar setting is about as usefull as "a system error has occured (ok)"
Either we have avitars, and can set them or the menu needs to go.
( Seems Cory got a special way that us deadly have no access to :p )

Attachments

• avitar.jpg
    avitar.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 173
slim down I mean, since the window is infact a dialog box, the banner, adds and scroll bars just clutter it. See two attatchments one as is and one slimmed down.

I will take a look at that page, see if I can get it slimmed down to a panel.

the avitar setting is about as usefull as "a system error has occured (ok)"
Either we have avitars, and can set them or the menu needs to go.
( Seems Cory got a special way that us deadly have no access to :p )

Avatar page should be fixed. You should now be able to upload custom avatars.

Unfortunately, other than Cory's pic, I can't see the poster's image. Here's what the page looks like in Safari on the left and Firefox on the right. Note the areas circled in red. Are my settings somehow wrong?

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n408/gordonpritchard/ImageIssue.jpg

This is now fixed. Thanks

When I post a message my picture doesn't show up even though there's one in my profile.

John

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back