Nanographic Printing Technology from Benny Landa

Benny Landa, inventor of the Indigo will be introducing some new printing technology at Drupa that has broad ranging applications.

LANDA UNVEILS GROUNDBREAKING NANOGRAPHIC PRINTING PROCESS[/url]

This should be interesting. I read about this a short time ago and have been keen on seeing what he can do.

It is so good to see brilliance at work and even if it is not always totally successful, it is a pleasure to see the process of innovation. I really hope his new water based inks are not going to be a problem with recycling.

Mr. Landa is not only working on printing technologies but also energy technologies and he uses top level engineers and scientists.

This is a far cry for what the press manufacturers have been doing for so long which has shown them to be stupid, stupid, stupid in comparison.

What is very odd about it?

What is very odd about it?

This just seems like a simple case of Komory buying not one, but two lottery tickets.

Al

Edit: I am flattered that Erik thinks likewise.

Last edited:
Just seems odd to bring two girls to the same dance at the same time.

What happens when Komori is working with one and they solve an issue that would help the other... does Komori bring that to them or hold it inside?
Do they have two seperate development teams working on similar projects?
Just seems like they are saying I need a partner and going to play with whomever wins this battle I will partner with, or they have some master plan of helping KM and Landa merge.

This just seems like a simple case of Komory buying not one, but two lottery tickets.

Al

Edit: I am flattered that Erik thinks likewise.

Hi Al,

Its nice to have company even when one might be wrong. :)

One thing of interest in Landa's description of the process. He uses the term ejectors instead of inkjets. This might be significant because an ejector is a particular type of fluid pump device.

An ejector uses one fluid in smaller quantities to drive another fluid. It is based on the venturi principle.

Maybe Landa's device uses ink to drive ink or water to drive ink or air to drive ink. ??? This is something to look for.

Maybe the use of the term ejector means nothing and it is just for marketing reasons. We will find out.

It may turn out to be a new positive ink feed device. There could be interesting ways to image the plate and apply the ink per cycle. I am curious about this and am already imagining possible methods that might do this but are probably not what is being done.

1. The venturi idea seems interesting.

2. Do we know yet that this new technology involves plates and blankets, or is it a direct to substrate method?

Al

It's more like going to different dances with different girls, or dancing with different girls at the same dance. Landa is in the driver seat here, until forced into an exclusive single relationship in some way.

Al

Last edited:

2. Do we know yet that this new technology involves plates and blankets, or is it a direct to substrate method?

Al

Al, I have no idea for sure what the technology is. There is just not enough info to come to any conclusions. The technology seems to require the nano ink but how does that relate to the application method? We will all find out in a week.

I looked up on Landa's recent patent applications and what I saw did not seem to be this technology. He is known for making many patent applications right at the last minute so no one can for sure know what he is working on.

He works at a high degree of secrecy. Engineers and scientists who start to work for him have no idea what they will be working on and have to sign secrecy agreements.

I think about how things might be done and could be done. That is what I do. When Landa's concept comes out, it will not take me much time to evaluate it from that perspective. I am guessing that the concept will be workable just because I think Landa is too smart to make something that will fail for obvious reasons. Although even smart people can make some faulty assumptions. Happens all the time.

In the long run, Landa's printing technology may not be too important. He seems to be more interested in other innovations related to energy and the nano ink is just a side line of that effort. The new printing technology will help pay the bills on his energy research.

That's it! I'm going to Drupa to find out what this is all about! I'll be there on the 3rd, back on the 9th. Stand by!

What about he recyclability of nanographically printed paper? See this related discussion:

http://printplanet.com/forums/drupa-technologya-2012/28733-drupa-long-term

al

Al, I suspect there is an issue with recycling but hopefully not.

Another thing. I was trying to find a reference to variable print and could not really find one. Comments are made about Landa's printing process having the flexibility of digital printing but it did not come right out and say it had variable printing capability. Or at least I have not found that.

If the ejectors are building the image, then I would think there is variable print capability. If the ejectors are only supplying ink in controlled quantities that somehow ink a plate like surface, then maybe that does not have variable capabilities unless the plate like surface can change on each rotation.

Can't wait to find out if this is something really special or if this is going to be a let down.

Al

Al, here is an interesting article.

Print Business: Komori signs up to use Landa nanography Finishing

It claims that manroland (sheetfed) is also committed to using the Landa technology but will put it in existing press concepts instead of what Komori plans, which is to make totally new press designs.

The reference to manroland's direction makes me think this might not be so far away from what is already happening.

The "water based ink" comments might be a red herring and misleading. Conventional ink on a roller train has water in it and one might say that it is water based. Is it possible that the ejectors are supplying ink and water to a lithographic process? The advantages would be a positive ink feed and a greatly simplified water application method. This would lead to a very consistent and predictable process with fast response, especially if a properly designed short roller train is designed. Sound familiar?

Maybe this guess is way off, but the fact that there is no discussion of imaging the plate and that manroland is thinking of putting it in their conventional presses, makes me think that what I have stated is a possibility for the Landa concept. If true, they have to account for differences in ink and water usage. Something Flint ink did not do when it tried its Single Fluid concept.

If the Landa concept is along this line and is successful, it makes me happy. For one thing it would prove my view. Secondly, my concept would do basically the same thing but at a lower cost and could be used in the short term by modifying existing presses during the next generation press design transition period.

This is getting interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a bird tweets me there is something like blanket. It is getting interesting... more and more.
Will see in few days what it is all about...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back