NAS in 2011

mckillmon

I see an old thread (2007) about XSERVE and RAID and NAS as an alternative, and I'd like to revive the discussion. With the newer crop of these devices, many of which also double as SANs, how appropriate are these devices as simpler replacements for server/RAID configurations. What is the threshhold for suitable performance? Many units are marketed for home music and video use, or at most, backup devices. I am considering a level above that and looking to benchmark candidates. Do you have specific models that you would endorse, or models or vendors that you would caution against? Specifically, I am looking at NAS for simple file storage and collaboration, as opposed to a high-performance applications, like video streaming, scan capture, or web-serving. Thanks for your thoughts!

A network accessible storage (NAS) device is not a replacement for a managed server/raid configuration. Most of the entry-level NAS boxes on the market are light weight linux boxes with HHTP management systems and an array of disks that can be configured as a JBOD or RAID, depending on your needs. These are well suited for file sharing, network backups, and file archival - but again, there's little to no management capability and absolutely no processor ability (unless you're fluent in linux and can work that side of the equation, but the processor and memory is limited and you get what you get).

Buffalo has a great series of NAS boxes as both stand alone and rack mounted version available. If you want more of an RDX (removable disk) solution look to Imation's External A8 Docking Station - up to 8TB of removable storage in 1TB drives.

Mark H

Solutions for Mac OS X

We currently use a new Mac Pro server with an internal raid5 of four 2TB drives yielding 5.23TB usable space. If when/we need more space we will be moving up to a PROMISE external attached storage. Many vendors offer various enterprise grade arrangements at various price points. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

NAS devices can be tricky. Most are consumer grade and offer limited features that are "useful" for your purposes. A NAS isn't a replacement for RAID it is a replacement for a server with some sort of storage. Many, if not most, NAS devices use various RAID levels for protection or increasing storage capacity. Not all can handle the daily pounding a server would because they typically do not have server grade hardware. The Buffalo ones may be the closest to a traditional server in terms of performance. Even the DROBO's would be acceptable. You can relatively easily build a Linux storage server using decommissioned server hardware and drives.

If it were me, I'd look to migrate to a new server. If you want to go down the road of NAS you need to find a good NAS "head" that can be expanded in place. Being an iSCSI/SAN target is nice but only if you can use such a feature and have the infrastructure to take advantage of it. Otherwise it's just a "cool doo-dad".

Follow up to NAS query

Follow up to NAS query

Thanks to each for your thoughts and insights. Consider some specifics that I didn't include in the first query. 1.) The existing file server is running Windows 2000 on a two-processor Dell server with two 1.8G processors, and a 533MHz bus. It has a U160RAID and a single controller card. Multiple users on a gigabit ethernet switch are entirely satisfied with its performance (faster is always better, I concede). I have used older Buffalo NAS devices (Terastation Pro), and they're fine for backups, but just a cut above home units. The newer models may be considerably better. One of these has been running for over 850 days. I am testing a Netgear ReadyNAS3100, with dual PS, and two gigabit ports, Enterprise level SATA drives (presumably rated for more day-in and day-out use), and it's comparably fast in simple initial tests and some routine use. The 8TB model will be enough storage for a considerable period. It's RAID is touted as more robust than the RAID-5 in use on the existing server(s), and it will be cross-vaulted to a mirrored device offsite. The other device being considered is GridStore. The have a new scalable NAS, with a modular approach (non-stop) to adding additional capacity and with it, bandwidth for users. It's also at a good price point. The drobo is compelling, but seems a little closer to the home end of products, but seems to be gaining acceptance, and fulfills the "easy-to-configure and expand" attribute nicely.

You can build your own device and have complete control over it. There are plenty of storage servers around that use SAS or a SATA flavor (SATA-I, SATA-II or SATA-III when it arrives) and just about any RAID flavor you want. If it were me, I wouldn't screw around and I'd put the money into one of these NetApp - FAS2000 Series - FAS2000 - Storage Systems - Products

Do it right the first time any you don't have to do it again...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back