Need input on plate making avenues

ondemandbindery

Well, the time has come for me to start putting some ink on paper. Hopefully what I am trying to accomplish will blend with my finishing abilities but only time will tell. I have a 2 color Hamada in great shape and the operator who ran it for 15 years helps me in production now so lets say that I have this end covered. Plate making devices are now my next stumbling block. I read, look, talk, and then think about what is going to be my best option to accomplish this. Polyester plates will accomplish what I am looking for in regards to line screen quality and run lenght. Xante looks like the best option for me. So whomever wants to give input on this please feel free to do so.

Thank you,

I would tell you to look at the Kimosetter 340 or 410 even though the plates are 1 sided
It produces really good detail.
The plates I got for my XANTE PLATE MAKER 3 WERE ALSO 1 SIDED
the drawback is that these plates will stretch. so if your doing 2 colors good luck..

What type of work are you doing and what are your run lengths? Are you doing large solids or screen tints? Also are you doing tight register or process work? If so the laser plates are not the best choice.

You would probably be better off using Mitsubishi Digiplate or Agfa Setprint. If money is an issue you can probably find a used imagesetter or poly platesetter. The quality difference is considerable over laser plates.

I saw a demo that used a polyester plate that was imaged on a normal Epson inkjet printer. It looked very promising. The cost for small duplicator presses was about $1.60 for each plate. The material comes on a roll. I believe it was post baked in a small oven. You had to buy the software for about 10K. I thought that if we ever needed to replace our polyester platesetter it may be something to look at then. No platesetter to purchase, no chemistry to clean and change.
Rick

The Plate you saw was most likely from a company called VIM. l. VIM doesn't have many dealers selling their product. They have been involved in a major lawsuit with Presstek and have lost.

It was them. Have not heard anything about it since the demo. The technology did seem promising.
Rick

Thanks for all the replys. Maybe I am not looking at all my options. The type of work I will be doing is really simple type work. No large solids or process work. 2 color at the most and maybe a spot 3rd color. We are not really looking to get into the commercial market. Too advanced, cut throat, and not really what I am looking to accomplish with the business. To be honest, an old school paper plate camera would most likely do what I want but that technology is long passed. And ultimately my thought with the Xante is that if this does not pan out I stand a chance of selling it on the used market. But if someone knows of other options please let me know.

Thanks all,

I want to start out by saying that I am an independent contractor doing install, training, and service for a wide variety of prepress and inkjet equipment/software manufacturers and dealers. I have a well rounded history in this business and am very qualified to consult and make recommendations.
I have directed and set up several small printers with their first CTP systems, everything from the SmartPlate poly systems to metal CTP.

Naturally, if something is sold via my recommendations I do usually get a referral fee from the seller but my main focus is with consulting, installation, training and service. I try to point my clients in directions that I know from personal experience work, are affordable and will be economical in the long run to my clients needs.

That being said...
At first glance it seems that you are on the right track and a poly system just might be your best option. Although, there are several choices in that arena right now. Some are good and some are not so good.

I would be glad to help you navigate the way through the CTP jungle.

Let's talk! Give me a call or e-mail me directly.

Have a great day!
Kim Sakowski

KJSAKS Enterprises, Inc
ph... 702-561-5936
e-mail... [email protected]

Take a look at the Mitsubishi CP-50 silvermaster platemaker. If most of your work is line work this will do the job. You won't be able to do a 133 lpi screen with it, but 110 lpi is no problem. The CP-50 uses the same chemicals as other Digiplates, I use it for my line work and run an imagesetter with Digiplates for all my tight register and fine screen work. In my opinion silvermaster plates outperform any laser type plate for durability and run length. I like the idea of the inkjet plate system and you also just added another service for large format with the right inkjet.

Go with the Eco 1630 Platesetter from Mitsubishi.
A used one is well within reach.
Can print 4 color at 150 line,, plates do fit.
and you are not locked in to small size plates, it can grow your buss. If you want more info contact me (mike) [email protected]

Have received VIM plates as well as G&J Plates and ran them on the same day with the same 4-color press. G&J Plates came up fast and registered quickly with standard press fountain solutions running standard water settings. Used a very harsh plate cleaner and lost the image, then used a mild cleaner and did no damage. Color was good and pressman liked the screening.

Then ran the VIM Plates, needed more water but ran well, registered good, color was weak, blends were weak, but probably adjustable from rip with some calibration. Plates were not run at highest resolution so 4 point type was a little broken up under a loop as were the G&J Plates.

Overall we were very impressed with the overall quality of both plates and the press sheets were certainly sellable. We did not change fountain solutions for either plates but did not run but a few hundred sheets.

Thanks for all the replys. What I looking for is a minimal purchase to see if Printing for packaging can work for my business. I had actually thought about get a HP5000 as I have been told it can print on Polyester. Some of the platemakers mentioned look nice but are probably out reach for what I want to spend. I do like the looks of the Kimosetter. The other problem of course is getting the files done properly for the plates. I have some nice software that came with a PC I bought out of a Print Facility and I located someone in that department who will help me. If I can make printing fit into my business model then I would absolutely look at something like the Mistsubishi.

Thanks,

plate making avenues

plate making avenues

Thanks for all the replys. What I looking for is a minimal purchase to see if Printing for packaging can work for my business. I had actually thought about get a HP5000 as I have been told it can print on Polyester. Some of the platemakers mentioned look nice but are probably out reach for what I want to spend. I do like the looks of the Kimosetter. The other problem of course is getting the files done properly for the plates. I have some nice software that came with a PC I bought out of a Print Facility and I located someone in that department who will help me. If I can make printing fit into my business model then I would absolutely look at something like the Mistsubishi.

Thanks,

Before you spend money on anything just keep in mind that the polyester plates that you can make on an HP5000 (Smart Plates) and the polyester plates made on Mitsubishi, AB Dick, or Ripit type systems (SilverMaster) are totally different and produce dramatically different results. If you are printing strictly short run (less than 2500 pcs) line work with no concern for quality screening or detail then the SmartPlate is a good choice. But if you need to produce quality prints with clean quality screens and/or longer runs (up to about 35,000) you really need to consider the higher grade SilverMaster route.
You might be surprised also of the low cost of good used and repo equipment on the market. I know of complete systems available with everything you need, including installation and training for less than $5000. (partially dependent on where you're located)

Please give me a call before you take the plunge.

Have a great day!
Kim Saks
702-561-5936

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back